Translate

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Slow cooker food.

Dear reader,

One of the blogs I follow mentioned a lady who prepared loads of meals for her slow cooker and bagged them ready to put in before she went to work.

The colder weather has made me get ours out and get using. I am trying to get all our dinners this week cooked in the slow cooker. Yesterday we had a kind of hunters chicken with onions and red peppers in a chipotle sauce. (75p for a jar in Asda and it is gorgeous). Tonight we had beef stew, dumplings, Yorkshire puddings and vegetables.

Tomorrow I will be putting a pork joint in with half a jar of the BBQ and lime sauce also Asda and letting it slow cook all day for 9-10 hours. It's so soft it falls apart and I shred it up and may hbe it with some spicy rice and flatbreads.

It really does make such a difference. We get the lovely smell when we come home and I only have to do some veg or rice. I have been reading up on slow cooker recipes. I will try some out and post with some pictures.

I e also been trying to get the breadmaker going again and I do have success with some of the packet loaf mixes but not my own. It doesn't help that I have lost the instruction book! I will download online.

I have been making extra at dinner and we take this to work with us along with some fruit and yogurts.

If you don't have a slow cooker, I really recommend them!

5 comments:

  1. I love my slowcooker, my first one was about 30 years ago when they first came out. When the boys were at home we had a huge one, my hubby called it a dolls bath! Lol They are great for working people to come home to a cooked meal all ready after a busy day. We have a pork joint from Aldi to put in at the weekend for pulled pork, leftovers will be turned into pork stew and dumplings :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that link was useful - we had the leftovers from our beef stew tonight - cooked in the slow cooker last Monday, and four meals eaten last week, and then the leftovers frozen and served over a baked potato tonight with just a reheat. I'm a big slow cooker fan, and working on expanding the number of recipes I love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made chicken stock from the carcass in mine last week, then soup on Monday [that's been lunch for 2 days] and a curry yesterday [another 2 days worth of main meal] My big failure recently has been Rice Pudding - I tried out Frugal Queens recipe [usually 100% reliable] but it turned out like wallpaper paste. Fortunately it tasted OK . Planning to make a loaf in my slow cooker again soon.[http://angalmond.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/kneadlessly-breadmaking.html]
    You should try that one! blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only time I have had failures with my bread has been that the yeast was old. I keep it in the fridge or freezer now so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy for anyone that has and can use a slow cooker. I'm afraid I'm not one of them. I don't seem to get organized enough in the morning to put ingredients in the pot so they are ready in time for a later meal. If I put ingredients in later in the morning, it takes too long to cook. I have tried putting ingredients in the pot at night and letting it cook overnight but the wonderful aroma keeps me awake. So I basically decided to give away my slow cooker to someone who can use it. I'm hoping to try a pressure cooker one day when I have the extra funds. It cooks much quicker and will probably suit my needs better :-)

    ReplyDelete