Translate

Thursday 14 March 2013

What I will and won't do to save money.

Dear reader,

The sun is shining and the birds are singing. It's a beautiful morning here in Kent.

I was reading about the couple who turned off their heating three years ago. They had enough of the price hikes and wanted to make a small protest. There were pictures of them sitting there in a freezing house and I thought there are some things I will do and some I will not in the name of energy saving.

The I wills

Just heat our lounge with log burner
Wear more clothes around the house
Have a throw over me on the sofa
Shower more bath less
Go to bed earlier to be warm

The I will nots

Won't get so cold I have to wear hat and gloves indoors
Won't totally suffer, if I am really cold and just need heat now-will turn on heating for a short while

I figure that I have a lot more wills than will nots so must be a good thing.

I have been reading a lot of blogs lately and trawling other sites since I am not at work. I have a large credit card bill as we had to put something unexpected on it. I hardly ever use it and when I do I pay it all off in one go. Because of this unexpected amount we wont not be able to do so this time. Therefore, I took some advice and applied for an interest free card which is approved and no interest for 2 years. The amount will be paid off long before that but it's nice to have a breather.

I'm enjoying the MSE forums as people write about becoming mortgage free, they are inspiring me to keep going.
After your supportive comments yesterday I have decided that in 2014 we are having a holiday. I am going to try to save the non smoking money, £400 a month and use some of it for going away somewhere hot.

Yesterday was a No Spend Day-yippee. We took the dogs to Pegwell Bay and they had a great run and dipped paws into the sea. Did a bit of spring cleaning for my mum then relaxed. Watched a recording of Superscimpers but didn't think much of it. Need Ilona back on it-she's hardcore. If you haven't already dropped in her blog is called Life after money.

What will you do to save energy? Is there anything else I could do without causing too much discomfort?

Sarah x

16 comments:

  1. Hi thanks for dropping in!. Well done on giving up smoking, sounds like some mega money saved from stopping smoking which is an extra bonus on top of good health. My hubby gave up 5 months ago & the electronic cigarette really helped & he still uses it mainly with a glass of wine!.
    :look forward to dropping ny again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Wow 5 months he has done well. Every day is a bit of a battle although have felt better after watching an Alan Carr clip on You Tube. Yes a glass of wine, after a meal, with a cuppa, all ciggie moments I'm afraid. It's very hard to stop, worse thing I ever did was start smoking.
      Glad to have found your blog.

      Sarah x

      Delete
  2. I don't do cold either. Well done on giving up smoking, that's a really good move, money and life saving. Double bubble ! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fran,

      Was just reading about your boat! Money and life saving, I like that!

      Sarah x

      Delete
  3. Hello & thanks for popping by to visit! I'm glad you did as otherwise I wouldn't have found you, or at least maybe not for a while.

    At the moment we're counting down the weeks until the heating is no longer needed. Hopefully not long now (I say ignoring the freezing temperatures and snow outside!)

    I haven't had a chance to look through all of your previous posts yet, but look forward to catching up & good luck on your frugal journey!

    P.S - Congrats on stopping smoking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on the no smoking, thats a great achievement. Like you I'm prepared to wear extra jumpers, socks and my big fluffy slipper boots and if I'm just sat watching tv or at the computer I will make a hot water bottle to help keep me warm. BUT.... if its really cold then on goes the heating, we are lucky to live in a modern bungalow with lots of insulation so it really doesn't take much to bring us up to temperature and we have it set at 22*. You have to do whatever is comfortable for YOU. I think its a great idea to save for a holiday, it will keep you focused and stop the temptation of ciggies.

    You are doing really well on your frugal journey.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen or as I now call you the pie lady after seeing the load you made for your family. Lucky lot. I am going to have a go tommorow.
      Thanks for popping in to comment, I agree with you about the heating and you've just reminded me to dig out my hot water bottle. Nothing better!

      Sarah x

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma,

      Great news about your blog, it really becomes addictive.
      We were only discussing electric blankets yesterday and I fancy one for next winter just to take the chill off. It's the same in our house, soup would not do the Big Man, he has to have something substantial.
      Good luck with the blog, let me know when ready.

      Sarah x

      Delete
    2. I have deleted this by mistake.
      Emma Watts has left a new comment on your post "What I will and won't do to save money.":

      Hi Sarah, It's great you're having such a good time away. I love the coast in winter time. When I started my own journey it was out of necessity and like you I trawled the blogs and picked up so many great ideas. There was so much I felt I should be doing and I felt a little overwhelmed. One by one I implemented changes until I found a comfortable level for us. Heating and food evoked the most emotive responses in my household. Consequently we have the heating on for 3 hours an evening @ 15c and the kids have their electric blankets on for 15 mins just to warm the beds. Soup on the other hand does not constitute for a dinner at my table regardless of how I dress it up with homemade breads or side salads. I serve soup as a starter and a smaller main meal and everyone is happy. We only eat desset on a Sunday but there's always yogurt, fruit and cheese available. Just focus on the things that challenge you instead of defeat you. Working on my blog right now !!!!


      Delete
    3. And I have copied Emma's comment back in as I want to keep all the comments on here as a record of my blog and couldn't miss one from Emma. X

      Delete
  6. Keeping warm?
    I have many ways at the moment.
    a) When I feel cold I 'hoover' the whole house!
    b) Read the daily papers in the local library.
    c) Go window shopping. Most shopping centres (except Eden in HW) are nice cozy places to wander round, but the very warmest place I have found is John Lewis @ Handy Cross! Baking in there. I usually combine these with my regular shopping trips - saves petrol.
    I avoid Garden Centres though - drafty old places.
    Cheers....Bernard x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Bernard,

      Good old John Lewis. I do like that store.

      Sarah x

      Delete
  7. First, well done on continuing to be a non-smoker :-)
    I tried at the beginning of winter to wait as long as possible before turning on the heating, but being cold made me feel SO miserable I won't do that again. I had hoped we could have been using the heating less by now, but it is still SO cold. I hope I'll be able to turn it off soon though, or we will be really struggling to pay the bills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie,
      Nice to hear from you. Yes, we are thrilled at the non smoking, we were just saying its been nearly 2 weeks now. I love the feeling of turning the heating off and it's fine when we have enough time and inclination to light the log burner. The only thing is, when you come in from work late or get up in the morning and its freezing, you just want a bit of warmth don't you? No faffing with kindling and newspaper, I just want heat! We have turned it down a lot though and we don't have it above18 now.

      Sarah x

      Delete