Translate

Friday 22 March 2013

Thank you

Dear reader,
Before I start I'd like to thank you all for your kind comments supporting us as we continue to be non smokers. I'm sure it's boring for those of you who never have smoked and we know it is our fault for starting.
It's difficult but we are determined. It's given me some compassion when I see others with addictions and I feel for them.
Never judge a man until you've walked in his shoes.

It is our last day in Kent. My parents returned yesterday evening from their holiday.
I cooked for us all making our favourite faggots, boiled potatoes, carrots and peas with a thick gravy.

Aldi had 4 pork loin steaks for £3.29. I had to go elsewhere for the liver as they don't seem to sell it in either Aldi or Lidl. I got 2 packs for £1.75. I had tried to just buy organic meat for ethical reasons mainly but we just can't afford it. The supermarkets are charging £11 for an organic chicken and trying to work 12 hours a day and still find time to get to a local butcher was just not happening.

The faggots were so quick to make and I made 18 so I froze some for my mum and dad to have another night.

Mum and dad had been on a European cruise around the Med. The recession was very evident in Spain with lots of shops boarded up, which was a shame. I think some of the countries are worse off than us although our high streets are looking pretty dismal too.

Having been out to America a few time, where they have malls, I wonder if we will eventually go,this way too. It's so easy to just drive to a huge car parking area and get out to various shops all in one place. I suppose we have been voting with our feet for some years now.
I look at our High Streets and see, fast food shops, betting shops, pound shops and the occasional charity shop but even these are closing down. We live in a tiny village where there is a supermarket of sorts. I use it in emergencies as the produce isn't great, there is also a farm that sells eggs and milk that I try to use when I can. It's difficult working full time as I tend to go for the easy option and sadly the easy, supermarket option tend to be the cheapest too.

We will be travelling home to Buckinghamshire today. I've missed our house and our bed. That surely must be a sign of getting old? I'm looking forward to planning our food and using the envelopes for shopping. £50 in each one, we will be a few days short at the end but we will manage.
I think I may be ok the first week as we have a freezer full of bargains I found in Lidl before we went away.
I am looking forward to making our own bread again. Lots of you have given me recipes to try out.
We won't have the heating on at all from now on. British Gas have done a reading while we have been away. They make their bills very difficult to read don't they? We pay them £50 a month for our heating and hot water and we don't really scrimp on baths or showers. They are reducing our direct debit to £44 a month now, I suppose this is to allow for the summer months. I'd like to get this down further, the less I give to them the better. There are some things I don't mind paying for, where I don't feel the company is robbing me. I don't mind the water bill, the Sky bill, the mobile phone bill even but the gas annoys me. It annoys me to think there are old people out there too scared to put it on, freezing to death and they really are.

On a happier note, we have two more days off before we go back to work then it's a short week with the long weekend off for me anyway.
What are your plans for Easter? Will you be cooking something special?

Have a happy weekend.

S. x



14 comments:

  1. I was interested to notice you using pork loin in your faggots. At home, faggots were a firm favourite with us boys, although Mom never made them from scratch. Over the years the bought ones have never seemed as good as those in the 1950's, so I decided to make my own. I was a great fan of Keith Floyd and have a couple of his cookbooks.
    Well, he loved faggots too and gives his Mother's recipe which is the one I follow.
    He uses pigs liver, pigs heart and pigs lights!
    Now, since you can't buy pigs lights or pluck as it is know, I regret I miss it out of mine.
    The only thing I don't like about making faggots is trying to get pigs liver through the mincer!
    (no food processor you see).
    His recipe is in his book - A Feast of Floyd.
    Cheer.... B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Bernard,

      I just buy whatever pork is cheapest. There was not much fat on them either so I suppose that was better for us. I sometimes sneak a couple of bacon rashers in as well. I shove it all in the food processor and it works fine. I imagine its rather messy trying to mince the liver. They are lovely.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your weekly meal plan/and or shopping list.

    I like to meal plan monthly and then swap around according to our mood and what could arrive in the house.

    We did really well this month and spent only £40 in 3 and a half weeks. This means we have taken £40 with us on hol and the remaining £10 of our £100 monthly budget is heading for the sealed pot.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing! Our weekly shop has to do both of us for 3 meals a day. I like soups and veg dishes but big man likes meat, mainly chicken or fish. You are such an inspiration. I am trying with the sealed pot but never seem to have any cash on me.
      Look forward to lots of holiday pictures and posts.

      S. x

      Delete
  3. We've started the envelope system and I love it! My husband was slower on the uptake with budgeting etc however is now firmly on board :-) He does the shopping and likes knowing how much there is to spend for the month. He composes a mean shopping list too!

    Keep on with the non-smoking, as well as money think of the health benefits, it's a win win :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Please don't think you are rambling, I like hearing from you and it's nice to get comments on my posts. I am determined with the non smoking. We are drawing out the money this weekend for the envelopes and see how it goes from there.
      Thanks for commenting and pop in often!

      Delete
  4. I wish you the best with quitting smoking. I'm thankful I never started. My brother does and he's never been able to quit.

    While we don't use the envelope system, we do follow a budget. Looking forward to hearing about the meals you create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Honestly, if I can stop and I have no will power, your brother can but it is difficult and you have to really really want to.

      I will have a good old meal plan this weekend and see what I can concoct. Thank you for commenting and dropping in.
      S. x

      Delete
    2. I think you are right. He's not committed. Worries me but what can I do but love him anyway.

      Delete
  5. I see that you've been cooking pork recently also. As for the shopping malls in America, many of them are suffering because so much shopping is done on the Internet. I don't know where it is all headed.

    I really admire the fact that you are quitting smoking. I've never smoked, but I hear quitting is very difficult. Good luck. I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi live and learn,

      I never thought that Internet would take over, wow, that's worrying and a real shame.
      The UK will follow I am sure.
      The non smoking is going well. I don't think about it much, there are still triggers through the day which are hard.
      Thank you for stopping by, it's great to hear from you!
      X

      Delete
  6. I am loving your blog. Easy to read and full of tips. Reading you and frugal queen every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Sarah, you are still very focused, I think you are doing great both with the no ciggies and organizing your shopping and food plan. I'm thinking of having a go at the envelope system, never tried it before and not sure it will work for me, what it will do is let me feed my sealed pot with change, poor thing thinks its on a starvation diet at the moment.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the no smoking, I never smoked many, I lit several but when I realised that I let more burn away than I smoked I stopped. I am told that giving up smoking is as hard as becoming teetotal if you are a drinker. I live to a budget and take my cash shopping tucked in my pocket, no purse, no cards. I add up as I go and usually have money left over. If there is an offer on something that we use I will stock up, otherwise the left over goes in my sealed pot.

    ReplyDelete