Translate

Saturday 9 March 2013

Men and proper dinners.

Dear reader,

I was just having a little wonder about frugal living and all the great blogs that I read and get tips from and a thought crossed my mind. Are there any men out there?

I read one blog that is a man, frugality living.blogspot.co.uk but all the others are women. What's going on?

The tips that you publish and have shared in this wonderful blogging family that I feel I have joined all seem to be from us girlies and usually about girlie stuff, cooking, household savings and the like. (That sounds sexist, but you know what I mean)

A lot of us mention our partners, particularly Frugal Queen who often shares pictures of  her great husband. I know they must also be partaking in the frugal life or do they just go along with it?
Is it us woman leading the way in saving?

Are there any men readers out there with blokey frugal tips?

Today I came home from work at 1530 and despite my good intentions I have had to turn on the heating for a short while as it is so cold in here. I have definately become used to having the house cooler and I now moan at work as I find it too hot and have to wear a t-shirt in the office.
I also have the log burner on as I am drying some heavy clothes and towels in front of it.

I did a huge shop last week and the freezer is fit to bursting. Big man and I take lunches into work, usually sandwiches but as he is working late into the evenings I try to do him a proper dinner to take.
I got some Maggi so juicy roasting bags with BBQ seasoning from Approved Foods last time and I put some chicken thighs and drumsticks in the oven last night. I wouldn't normally buy these at normal price but I have to say they are very good. No mess in the roasting tin and very tender and tasty. Although I did crisp them up a bit under the grill as they kind of just steam in their own juices.

I made a huge soup last night of all the veg I had in the fridge. Cabbage ( yes, I know and yes it did!)
Carrots, celery, peppers and a handful of basil and parsley from the window herbs. I gave it a dash of hot sauce and it was great.

A big thank you to Emma who has sent me her bread recipe for my bread maker as mine comes out a big cake like. Also, an appeal to K2D who won my first giveaway. Please email me your address so I can send you the book.

All the best for the rest of the weekend.

Sarah x




6 comments:

  1. It's funny what you said about work, as I thought I was having a hot flush at the hotel conference. The heating was on and I'm not used to it.

    But we've also had the fire on today to take the chill off our cottage and to dry the clothes-I'm so looking forward to warmer days when I can hang it on the line.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, it's amazing how you can adapt. I love line dried clothes, the smell is wonderful.

      Sarah
      X

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah.
    Of course there are loads of 'frugal' lads out here. I have been frugal for years - I just didn't think anyone would want to read aboot ma frugality! :)
    Not Scottish actually, I'm also from Beechy Bucks like you.
    I don't know if I could give you ladies any tips - I expect you all know all this is to know. I was brought up in the days of 'Make do and Mend' and have always been one for saving and making do.
    Two years ago I dug up my old mossy lawn and planted vegetables instead. It has given me quite a good return so far.
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bernard,

    4th reply to you, hopefully this one will publish!
    Thanks for dropping in and proving that there are men out here in blogging world. How lovely to hear from a fellow Buck!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, Check out www.greeeningofgavin.com
    Great blog on change of lifestyle focusing on green issues and Eco impact. Gavin is also a cheese maker and self published author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma,

      I will. Ooh cheese, love it and it loves my thighs!

      Sarah x

      Delete