Translate

Sunday 17 March 2013

Frugal fritters and our last £20

Dear reader,
Good morning from a slightly sunny Kent coast and a warm welcome to a new follower Hard up Hester.
You may have noticed in the top right hand corner, I have added a small poll about the best ways to save money.  I found it when I was messing about on the blog layout tool as I am new to blogging and haven't sussed it all out yet.
I thought it would be interesting to get your votes on this and see what you think.
The cook from scratch option looks like its leading the way.

As you know I hardly eat out now and we have had a good look at what we spend our money on.
I laugh at the prices charged for takeaway food such as £15.99 for a pizza? Dough, tomato paste a few topping and some cheese. Lots of people must still be buying them as those annoying little hair dryer mopeds keep whizzing past me on the inside with a hot one on board.
I looked up some interesting facts about food, here's some

40% of McDonald's profits come from the sales of Happy Meals.
Pasta and pizza were once peasants food as they are so cheap to make
A bottle of wine in a restaurant has at least 200% mark up

Yesterday we fancied a cooked breakfast (I blame the cold weather). I had seen a tin of sweetcorn in the cupboard and it was more brunch time so I made, for the first time, sweetcorn fritters which I found on Frugal Queens blog. 
So easy, so quick, so so tasty.

Blitz a tin of sweetcorn
Add 1 tablespoon SR flour
Add one egg
Drop tablespoonfuls into very shallow oil.

Served with crispy bacon and poached eggs and toast.

                  


I also totally picked all the meat from the chicken we had left and did a huge chicken and avocado salad. I put all the bones in the slow cooker and made a hot and sour Chinese style chicken soup with spring onions and shreds of chicken.  Our chicken has been well and truly used.

No spend day yesterday and today looks the same. We are enjoying a simple break from work, dog walking, cooking, reading and blogging. The best things in life are free.

We are counting the days till payday. I am checking the bank account daily to make sure nothing forgotten goes out. It's not a feeling I like being so short of money. We have a £10 note in cash and £10 in the bank account. The car has fuel and we have food and we will just have to survive.
Even when we get paid, there will be nothing left after everything has been accounted for.

How about you, do you count the days till pay day?

Have a relaxing and restful day.

Sarah x








10 comments:

  1. Usually I don't but like you I keep a careful watch on everything that goes out of our accounts each month.

    But this month I wanted to see how much was left in my account so that I could take it as spending money for our holiday.

    Which is £36!

    So that money will be very carefully used and nothing will be wasted.

    You have certainly proved the point that you don't need to spend money on a holiday to have a good time.

    I think you are doing brilliantly. How are those 'next' holiday plans going?

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SFT,

      We are discussing either European cities in one go so,possibly a med cruise or America probably a fly drive or Florida on the tourist trail. I have developed a new and totally unexpected and unwarranted fear of flying. I don't know why as I have flown all over the world. Must be an age thing so I think I am looking at the cruise so I don't have to fly. It's really annoying.
      We have never felt so poor. Oh well, debts are going though so that's good.
      Sarah x

      Delete
  2. You will get through being poor. I think your blog is going to be an inspiration and I am glad I found it today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justine,

      Thanks so much for dropping in. I wonder where you found me? We will get through I'm sure. It is a challenge though. We had another no spend day today so that was good. A ten pound note has never felt so,precious

      Delete
  3. Thanks for dropping in to my blog and for commenting - your blog looks really interesting! I will be back for more browsing.
    I keep a very close eye on our bank accounts each day and make sure I know what is coming and going - best way of keeping track for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Morgan,

      I have read your log for some time now but I have real problems leaving comments due to the letters it asks for, it never recognises me. I am pleased you got one today. I'm the same, I love banking online, I check every day too.

      Delete
    2. And that should read blog. Thanks so much for dropping in to my blog and leaving me a comment. It's so nice to see who been visiting.

      Sarah x

      Delete
  4. My mother used to make corn fritters all of the time, but I haven't thought about them in years. Sounds like a delicious breakfast.
    Also, thanks for visiting my blog. I've been reading yours, but always seem to get pulled away before I have a chance to comment. Good luck with with your no spend days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi live and learn,
      yes, they were lovely, went a bit pancakeish. No spend days, I love them and I hate them!

      X

      Delete
  5. I don't see the poll you mentioned. Did you remove it?

    Good for you for having such a frugal week. As long as one has a roof over their heads, funds to pay the bills and food enough in the cupboards, the rest is gravy :-)

    ReplyDelete