Translate

Wednesday 20 March 2013

My frugal clothes.

Dear reader,

Thank you to my new followers, Jo, Nim Scutt, Scarlet and Finn. It's lovely to have you visit my blog. I have only been blogging for a  few months and its all new to me. To get people actually following the frugal living of my life and debts repayment is extremely motivating.

I can thank the blogging community for the following.

Seriously sorting out our debts-sitting down and listing the exact amounts
Arranging repayments that are manageable yet effective
Finding Approved Foods
Building up a store cupboard with a small stockpile
Knowing the price of items I buy and shopping for the best deals
Budgeting for things we know will happen- gifts, car maintenance, insurances
Growing our own vegetables
Making do and mending what we already have instead of throw and buy again
Cooking all our meals from scratch
Taking packed lunches and drinks to work
Cutting down our energy bill by using log burner
Realising that we have enough
STOPPING SMOKING- big letters as we are so pleased and this has the biggest benefits to us.

Back to realising that we have enough has made me look all through our house as the things we have.
We have an awful lot of books. Big man has a huge collection of DVD's and I have an awful lot of clothes and shoes. The trouble is we don't like getting rid of them. There is only the two of us and we have plenty of storage so that's not an issue. Big man watches the DVD's and we both love to read, we lend our things out too so they get lots of use.
The major thing I have done is not buying any clothes or shoes. I have two huge bags of clothes that just don't fit as I've gained weight. So at the moment I have a very frugal, basic wardrobe. It consists of
1 black jeans
3 blue jeans (one slim fit, one smart, one just plain ugly-good for dog walks)
Various tops-smart and casual

I have several pairs of flat shoes, highs, walking shoes and boots. Luckily I have not "grown" out of these. I refuse to buy clothes and I'm hoping this will spur me into losing weight. I've done it before and I've kicked the smoking so I'm hoping the fat is next.

It's payday for us both today. We both put a set amount into our joint account to pay all the bills, food shopping and car fuel. After that there is nothing left to play with. No treats, no days out, no clothes. Anything we want has to come out of our own accounts and we have set aside a frugal amount this month for treats.
We decided this was just a bills account. I also started my car account which I will put £100 into every payday as I had big bills in the last few months for car tax, insurance, and servicing.
I also put £100 into another account for gifts and general emergencies. Other than that we have no other savings. If anything goes wrong with the house or cars we will just have to find it.
I have a credit card which I have had to put an unexpected bill of £3,000 on. I never have anything on it, if I do, I pay it off straight away. This time, we won't be able to do that so I got onto Money Saving Expert and found the best interest free cards. I have now swapped this onto my new card so we can pay if off with no interest.

We have eaten all the food in my parents house so will have to go shopping today so they have full cupboards when they return from holiday.
This month I am going to try the envelope system, which some of you use with great success. I will have 4 envelopes each with £50 in. This will be our shopping money and I will take each one out with me and it will have to be enough. This does all our food and packed lunches and household cleaning items.
We have also decided that each of us will have £40 for the month for us to spend on what we like.
Treat money-yippee!

We have saved £225 now by not smoking for 15 days now.

Do you store clothes you are waiting to fit into? How frugal is your wardrobe?




16 comments:

  1. Well done with your money saving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MeanQueen,

      It was your Alan Carr video that did the non smoking. Thank you so much.
      X

      Delete
  2. Untill a few weeks ago - I had got a huge stock pile of clothes that I had kept 'just incase' I managed to lose some weight - some of which were 10 years old! However I decided to get rid of a lot of it and have only kept the clothes that are the next size down - I've lost some weight recently so its do able to get into those but I realised that at my age I'm not going to loose stones in weight so all the spare clothes went to the hospice shop - well done with the not smoking - youve done really well - I use the envelope system and it works well for us xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trudie,
    You've done really well. I used to be able to lose weight really quickly but age does play a strange part in dieting. I think I may do the same and go through the clothes and just keep the items I have a realistic chance of wearing again.
    I am looking forward to seeing if the envelope systems works for us. I like the idea and then I won't be tempted to buy more stuff and get my card out.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lots of clothes waiting for me! If I ever shift the excess weight it will be like having a whole new wardrobe! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with me, I must get motivated! I think the cold weather makes me eat more.

      Delete
  5. I am so impressed with how much you have saved from not smoking.

    Sorry to see I'm not on your blogroll :( as I've been with you from the start.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear SFT,

    You were the first blog I ever read along with mean and frugal queens. You most certainly should be on my blog roll. I did have a bit of hassle as I had 2 blog rolls when I only wanted one and I like the one on the side and have deleted the one on the bottom. I shall rectify immediately. I'm so sorry, I should check it more thoroughly.

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're there. I'm not very good with the settings on this and still finding my way.
      I am also trying to save for travel at the moment. Have really missed my holidays.
      You've done so well.

      S. x

      Delete
  7. Hi - clothes are a bit of a sore point for me at the moment. I have lost weight and had to give away all my "too big" trousers, but I haven't been able to afford to replace them all, so I have now just got two identical pairs of Tesco jeans, and two identical pairs of black trousers, also from Tesco - grand total spent on the 4 pairs is just £32. When I get down a little further, I will invest in some better quality trousers, but these will have to do me for now, and I have lots of tops which are more forgiving with the weight loss and I can still wear them for more variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you've done well. I don't know if its your thing but I have got some great buys from the boot sales. Managed to get some good makes and if they don't fit or suit when you get home I put them on ebay (usually make a profit too)
      Best of luck with your new clothes.

      S. x

      Delete
    2. I used to go to a lot of boot sales and clothed my elder DD almost entirely in boot sale clothes when she was a toddler, as there was some extremely good quality stuff available then. We moved, got busy, and got out of the habit as the boot sales where I live now are less convenient to get to - and I am now busy in church on Sunday mornings and less able to go poking around! I do mooch the charity shops occasionally, so yes, your advice is sound, thanks. I just need more time!

      Delete
  8. Ebay eBay eBay! I love Hobbs but can't afford their prices! Their dresses fit me perfectly and are great for work, even better at less than half the price!
    If you've got items in good condition get them on there! Look out for free listing weekends and sell sell sell!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I know I should but I keep promising myself that I will slim down. I do love E bay though, I have got some nice dresses from ther as well.
      S.x

      Delete
  9. You are doing so well. Kudos to you for stopping smoking. I don't smoke so no savings there for me. I do keep several sizes of clothes in my closet but this year I got rid of most of them as I got tired of "housing" them. I have too much stuff in general and I am trying to downsize bit by bit. My blog is not about frugality but I am on a frugal kick as I need to pay down debt and help out on the mission field in Africa.

    ReplyDelete