Translate

Monday 18 March 2013

A one dish dinner.

Dear reader,

Good morning and welcome to a new week. It is a brighter day here on the Kent coast where I am temporarily staying with my other half, Big Man. So called as he is very tall and well, big but in a muscular way! We are here to look after my parents four dogs. They are more like babies so we don't put them in kennels. Sadly, this means we don't get to go away together.
We find it quite demanding as we are only used to the two of us and doing as we please, not having to get up and let them out or go for walkies at a certain time and the hair!!!

My blog has seen an increase of readers and followers and it really means a lot to me. I love to read your comments and hear your views. I would like to say a big welcome to my new followers,
Bernard, Justine, Kittykittyweaselfish, Morgansmother, Nevertooold, JulieAndres04.

Yesterday we wanted to have another no spend day. As you know we are down to our last £20 until payday on Wednesday. We will have a bit extra as the council tax gives us a break in Feb and March and also the smoking money. We will still have debts to pay off so we won't be going mad.

We went off in the car to a place called Samphire Hoe. It's 86.5 acres of land created from the land dug to create the channel tunnel. Samphire because of the plant that grew on neighbouring cliffs and how meaning a spur of land.


For dinner I had a couple of chicken breasts which I had defrosted. They can be a bit dry and boring so I did an old favourite which I call all in one tray chicken. First, get a large oven proof dish, something that you might use for a lasagne. I have used a large roasting dish previously. Spray some oil or a light drizzle in the base. Slice some potatoes, not too thin and layer the bottom of the dish. Layer sliced tomatoes and onion on the potatoes. You can add any vegetables you have. I used a red pepper and some carrots yesterday. Put the chicken in last, any joints are nice, thigh, drumsticks or breasts. Lastly, make up some stock, chicken, veg or whatever you have. A little thin gravy will do, just something for the vegetables to cook in. Pour into the dish, it should come up to touch the veg.i add some dried herbs and spices, then cover with foil and leave it at about 180-200 for an hour and a half. It comes out very tender and moist. I served with cauliflower cheese and roasted parsnips. 

Today is 2 whole weeks since we stopped smoking. We are saving £98 per week between us. 
We took our £20 and went to the morning cinema and watched Red Dawn. We were the only people in the cinema and it was like a private viewing. 

That was our treat. The cinema is not cheap, about the same price as a DVD for 2 adults £15.
The same price as us both killing ourselves for a day.

Have you got any one pot meals that you cook? I would love to know.

S.



10 comments:

  1. I like one pot meals, less washing up! I do lots and lots of stir fries, which only involve one wok, does that count? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran,

      That counts! Anything that saves on the washing up is good in my book.

      X

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are getting plenty of exercise while you are off work and with stopping smoking you will be as fit as a fiddle :-)

    I love one pot wonders especially if they have been made the day before and the flavours have soaked through. Yummy! We love stews and stir fries too.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      Yes totally agree. I sometimes freeze a curry and its so much better afterwards. I turned the rest of my one tray chicken into curry tonight as there was a lot leftover. I'm addicted to making flatbreads too. So easy with a bit of boiled rice.

      Delete
  3. My husband loves any one pot dish, so he doesn't have to dry too many dishes !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you have him trained then! I can use so many pans doing a roast dinner, my other half can't believe it sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Well done on the not smoking - you are doing really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your comments keep me strong. We are very pleased as well especially about the health benefits not to mention the money.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the no smoking! Keep it up.

    Don't forget to share with us all your financial progress.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SFT,

      I will. I need to do a spreadsheet to see how quickly we can pay our debts off.
      Determined to never smoke again. Just need to get into the same mindset for dieting.

      Delete