Translate

Monday 13 April 2015

A jar of coffee.

Dear reader,

My lovely mum helps out at a food bank. She's retired and wanted to do some volunteering. She's never done anything like that before but she went off to the training and now she does it a couple of times a week.
It got me thinking about what food people give and what would be best for feeding a family.
Most of the donations are from supermarkets and shops. There are donations from the public and most are great but some are really weird. Nail varnish (half used), dipping oil and a screwdriver.
Apparently corned beef and baked beans are the usual donations.
I have to admit, I've never donated. My mum loves 150 miles away so I can't just pop round and give her some stuff. I've never seen a donation point at any shops either. There's a drop off box for the local dogs home in our Asda but not a food bank one.

It's usually women who come in, usually terribly embarrassed. They fill out a shopping list which asks them whether they want pasta or rice and any sanitary products preferences. They are given toothbrushes and toothpaste if they need them too. I guess some have fled from dangerous abusers and some have just fallen on hard times and need to feed their kids. Some women haven't eaten for a couple of days.

I suppose some are there because of their life choices or are drug users or alcoholics. At first I was bemused by that but then I thought, they're still hungry.
It seems so unbalanced sometime when I am looking for my nearest Slimming World class and my mum is bagging up food for someone who hasn't eaten for a while.
I will look up my nearest food bank today and drop some stuff off. Apparently they need canned meat  (not corned beef) and coffee so that's what I will get.
Apparently the local paper asked people for those items on behalf of the food bank and some people who furious they were asking for coffee. Perhaps some people think that if you ask for a hand out you should just be eating rice and drinking water.
I know they can only go three times and are referred from other agencies and given a voucher, you can't just walk in a get a load of stuff.

I'm lucky and can go food shopping today. I can pick up what I fancy and not give it much thought, I use my card and know it will cover my purchases. I choose to be careful what I spend becuase I want my money to be used elsewhere for paying off debts.

I was going to write a post about wholesome dinners, what can be cooked with food from a food bank bulk cooking and freezing but then I thought, suppose I'm a mum of two, my nerves are frayed and I've fled the family home due to violence. Perhaps I'm in a hostel or bed sit with a crap shared kitchen,no utensils, no freezer. I'm not sure how I'm going to get throught the week, I've got no family to help. The kids are upset cos we've left the dog at a re homing place......

I don't begrudge a jar of coffee.



12 comments:

  1. I have this conversation at the charity shop every few weeks, about how beggars shouldn't be choosers and do I think that people "do it on purpose" to get free food etc. . Drives me bonkers, I tell them what I know about foodbanks and they seem a little upset that it shatters some of their illusions (needing to be referred etc)

    Dan has been doing some work that touches on foodbank use and some in our local area (I don't know if it's the same everywhere) have had to start providing a "kettle pack" as there are people who only have access to a kettle and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, I'm sure there are some that could help themselves better but as long as the foods getting to someone who needs it and is hungry then so be it. It's terrible isn't it that some people just aren't eating in this day and age. A kettle pack is a good idea, dried milk and pot noodles though, feels me with dread. I wish more people would give up their latte for a Fray Bentos tin just once a week. Take care. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane in Berkshire13 April 2015 at 09:16

    I love to follow your blog and am always inspired by your posts. Todays post has prompted me to google my local foodbank to see how I can get involved and make a donation - they give a regularly updated list of items they need on the website which can then be dropped off at the local supermarket or church collecting point. Thank you for reminding me just how fortunate a position we are in to be able to choose what food we buy and eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, omg "inspired by your posts" I am very chuffed as they are just my musings on life, mostly food and a few moans along the way. I've googled mine too, mostly churches but local Big Yellow storage take stuff too. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it really means a lot to me, honestly. X

      Delete
  4. I was pontificating on this some while back and like you was wondering how some people manage to provide a basic wholesome meal under difficult circumstances. Glad you have highlighted the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derbyshire, as the first commenter pointed out, some people only have access to a kettle. I never thought of that not with my instant water thingy, George foreman grill, microwave, regular oven and grill, my slow cooker, bread maker, food processor and on and on. Thank you for commenting, it's a difficult subject isn't it? X

      Delete
  5. Any addiction isint a " life style choice " your ignorance is obvious n good for you as you wander around the shops with your card just remember the higher u feel harder the fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you know, you're absolutely right. perhaps you could do a guest post for me to educate people on addicitions? Please get in touch, it's an important subject. X

      Delete
  6. http://www.thethomasproject.co.uk/activities heres a link to one I volunteer at in Walsall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have printed out the Trussell Trust's shopping list and shop from that when I am donating, and yes I always add some 'kettle' cooking things and extra biscuits and toiletries.

    I've done without in the past, now it's my turn to give someone a hand up, and I'm glad I can.

    A good post, a very good post even if your Anonymous commenter is being slightly rude!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An excellent post drawing attention to an important need. These women and children need all our help.

    ReplyDelete