Translate

Saturday 22 December 2012

Gave up at the shops!

Have been so busy at work have had only one day off in the last nine so haven't written for a while.
Today, stupidly we tried to go to the shops for last minute shopping. How could I forget so quickly from last year how horrendous it is!
Every year I say most confidently that I am getting presents early when I see bargains and every year I don't. I am a big fan of SFT and Frugal Queens blogs and SFT gets organised and next year so can I.
FQ doesn't do presents and I admire that. Christmas has turned into a most exploitative shopping frenzy that I can do without!

After turning the car around we came home, lit the log burner and had a glass of wine.
I decided to deliver the final cards to our neighbours. We live in a small close and everyone has sent us a card. I was detected by a Jack Russell and my neighbour came to the door. She can't get out much so I have volunteered to walk him tomorrow. He's a lovely little chap and like me could do with the excercise. Did think of ilona and her darling Rocky today. Very sad.

Have made some resolutions for next year. Am going to try to spend a lot lot less.
We don't use the heating much the log burner does us and we just keep the lounge warm. I have the central heating coming on first thing in the morning and in the evening if it drops under 16.5. It just gets to that temperature and goes off again. We have a combi boiler so don't need to heat the water.
We don't have a dishwasher or a tumble dryer. I follow frugal queen and get the washing in front of the log burner.
I will be keeping the weekly shopping to £40 per week for the two of us and that will cover a packed lunch for work as well.
We are going to try not to spend any money other than bills, food and fuel next year. So no clothes, meals out, holidays, or other non essentials. Sounds so much fun! I really want to be able to start paying off our mortgage.
I still haven't been able to publish this yet but today I got a message from SFT so was very excited and curious as to how she found me??? If you read this SFT, please, please let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, you are publishing. I found the link via your name when you joined the SEALED POT CHALLENGE!

    You can get organised this year. I will help you. Planning is everything.

    Pop over and see me regularly.

    It's SEALED POT SUNDAY today.

    WISHING YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to find another frugal blog - I read the same ones as you. I am frugal out of necessity, not by choice and people just don't understand, they think I am either eccentric or mean. I love the frugal blogs because I learn a lot, but also feel that I am part of a group of like-minded people who DO understand.

    I can't abide the crowded shops and did most of my christmas shopping online this year. I regularly look at this site
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175&order=desc
    which guided me to some good bargains, including a Sanctuary gift set with £55-worth of product for £14.

    I also check this page daily
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175&order=desc
    where people post about food bargains they they have found in supermarkets. I recently bought tinned pears from Tesco for 15p which I wouldn't have known about otherwise. We stockpiled 30 tins to help us have our 5-a-day within our budget. It's taken me a year, but I have our food spending down to below £20 a week for 2 of us.
    I'm sure you will do well with your frugal lifestyle, it takes planning, determination and support from others, but the results are worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning is definitely the key. I really try to meal plan and use everything we have while keeping it interesting as well. I will check the money saving forum and hopefully get some bargains too. You have done so well with your budget. I am making our own bread now but do cheat a bit with a bread maker. Thanks for your tips.

      Sarah xxx

      Delete