Translate

Thursday 27 December 2012

What to do with the turkey?

Not very imaginative and smacks of Bridget Jones mother's Turkey Curry Buffet.
Decided to do something with the last of the Turkey crown we had. I am very much against food waste and cannot stand to throw away good food. I removed all of the meat from the turkey and put the carcass in the slow cooker for stock for a soup or something another day. My mum's Chihouhou will have the soft meat from the bones later. She refuses to eat dog food when there is meat in the house!
I gently fried two onions, three sliced carrots and a couple of small diced potatoes that were left in the bottom of the fridge. I added some curry paste and a chicken stock cube. I have what seems like hundreds from an Approved Food order some time ago. Sliced a garlic bulb and sauteed that with the onions and other veg in a tiny bit of olive oil. I added a good cup of red lentils and water and let simmer. I use lentils in a lot of my cooking. No need to soak and they bulk everything out while giving a nice thickness without the need for pre soaking. Chucked in a load of dried Indian herbs that were lurking in the cupboard.
I made some flatbreads, so so easy.
Flour-any type, white, SR, wholemeal whatever you have.
Warm water from the kettle, a glug of olive oil and a pich of salt. Adjust amounts to give a nice dough.
( I often make these when we have run out of bread and make them into wraps.)
Roll out and cook in a hot, dry frying pan.
Served with plain rice and mango chutney

What ideas do you have for leftover Turkey? Please leave a comment, I will be ecstatic!

2 comments:

  1. I am very impressed with your cooking. You must congratulate yourself on saving so much money that way.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Left over turkey - Hmmm. We tend to graze in the couple of days after Christmas, so it gets put in a sandwich or on a salad. I'll make a stew or a curry - not very imaginative I'm afraid, and then freeze the rest to be used later.
    I was not good at avoiding food waste - I'd forget what was in the fridge. Now I write a shopping list and a menu on a Thursday, and on Wednesday I go through the fridge to see what we need. I list whatever I have thrown away and then think about how I might have used it instead. I can't remember the last time I threw anything away now, leftovers are either incorporated into a meal in the next day or the day after or put in the freezer. I keep a log of all food and that also help me to meal plan and avoid waste.

    ReplyDelete