Translate

Tuesday 1 July 2014

Is it free if usually I would have binned it?

Dear reader,

I actually got excited last night when I found a slice of quiche and a portion of green beans in the freezer last night and a tin of processed peas in the larder! When you're trying to only use what you have, they're big finds I can tell you.

Last night we had the chicken legs, tinned potatoes and the green beans and peas. There were some peas and beans left over and I stashed them in the fridge.
Breakfast was cereal with milk and porridge and for lunch I decided to make soup.

I chopped half the limp celery and softened it in a small pan with a bit of fry light, then I added a stock cube (only had beef) then added half a pint of water along with the beans and peas. I brought it to the boil and then turned off the hob. I do this a lot now with the hob and th oven, I reckon I can cook on half the cost as it stays hot for so long afterwards.

I used my blending stick and added half a teaspoon each of ginger purée and mint sauce. It was lovely and just to think I would have thrown all the veg away before!  That makes it feel like free food. I had the quiche slice too along with last scrape of pickle.

I got dinner ready for tonight and decided to make a chilli but serve it in tortilla wraps which I will make myself. So, so easy, flour, water, oil and pinch of salt. Roll flat and cook in a large frying pan no oil required.

I used the other half of the celery in the chilli with a tin of tomatoes and a handful of lentils to bulk it out and half left it on low in the slow cooker.

I will be making the sausage pasta for tommorows lunch and probably the Fishcakes for dinner.
I'm really enjoying this challenge, not sure how long I can go for as we will need milk at some stage and eggs.

It has made me very very careful with what I throw away and I hope this will continue.

How much have you got stashed away? I wonder how long people could survive with whats in their kitchens? Could you cancel food shopping for one week?



5 comments:

  1. I love making dinner with leftovers! I would never have thought of putting ginger into celery soup. This is a Very Good Idea. Mint is one of the few herbs I can grow. May make a batch of soup tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I typed a long comment and vanished into the wind. I'm glad you're able to use up what you have on hand. I don't have much on hand at any one time as I have no where to store it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with freezer bottom dinner x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I could feed the two of us for two-three weeks, but we would be eating pasta with tomato sauce, rice with soy sauce, and plain quinoa. If we consider the veggies from the garden we would be fine for a while. At the moment we have peas, mangetout, swiss chard, radishes, salads, raspberries, cherries, sage, basil, spinach, and beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am saving all leftovers from now on, any left over potatos and veg this week have gone in a bag in the freezer, then when there is enough I shall do a bubble and squeak, I am going to be starting a new challenge next week on my blog I will be setting out a shopping budget for the year, and it is going to be less than half of my usual spend, but am going to really try, I have a good head start as at the moment my cuboards are brimming x

    ReplyDelete