Translate

Monday 15 July 2013

A cheap lunch from leftovers


Dear reader,

I have new followers, very exciting. A warm welcome to you.

Today I was home a little earlier than usual so after a nice cool drink in the garden with Big Man I decided to try a concoction. I had a few leftovers in the fridge and as I take a packed lunch to work I wanted to make something for tommorows lunch. It's usually sandwiches but I fancied a change.

I had made chicken stock from our last roast chicken in my slow cooker which I had frozen.  Some cold pork leftover from a reduced joint that I cooked in the slow cooker yesterday, some cold veg and baked beans. I got some chopped onion that I prepare and keep in the freezer, a garlic clove, a small piece of ginger which I diced with the garlic. I fried the onion, ginger and garlic in a little oil until just browned.


Then I added the vegetables which were a mixture of green beans, carrots and peas. I poured the stock in along with the beans. I used spaghetti as Big Man doesn't like it. (He only likes pasta shapes like penne etc). I broke it into small bits as I didn't fancy the whole fork twirling, greasy chin look at work. It was all bubbling away nicely when I found a frozen tub of soup mix I had boiled and kept. 
I put that in with a pack of marinade I had in my larder cupboard. In went a dollop of brown sauce, Worcestershire sauce and a few flakes of chilli. I let it simmer for 10 minutes. 
Big Man had a look and said he fancied some as it smelt so good, despite the spaghetti.


Loads left over for work too and it was great. Sort of minestrone with a kick. I didn't even add the pork in the end as it just didn't need it. I now have to think of some over way to use it up.
Any ideas?

Hot, hot, hot here again. Phew.

FIB. X

No comments:

Post a Comment