Translate

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Making the most of one chicken

Dear reader,

I have had some lovely comments and I wanted to thank you as it's so nice to read them.
A big hello to Robyn who has left some very helpful comments and also Karen at Chelmarsh Chunterings and Pam at a Good life in Tydd. You both always take the time and effort to let me know you have been here. Both very good blogs so do pop by and have a look, they are both on my blog roll.

I wanted to let you know how I had got on with my roast chicken that I was determined to stretch as much as I could. A rubber chicken they call it!

We had roast chicken dinner with loads of veg, roasties and mash. I plated up two more which we had the next day. 4 dinners so far.
The next day we had sandwiched for lunch using the chicken leftovers. I had picked all the meat off the bones. I especially love the little oysters underneath. 6 meals so far.
I then put the carcass in my slow cooker and covered with water. I left this on low while we were at work. When we got home the house smelled all chickeny. I used the stock to make a hot and sour Chinese style soup. I make it up my own way with the stock, chilli flakes, vinegar and fish sauce. Sometimes I add a chopped spring onion at the end, sometimes I whisk an egg into it, depends what I have in.
I still have half the stock left which I froze. This will go into a curry. I also have all the jelly and fat kept back. I was reading that you can use the jelly as a base for risotto and I suppose the fat can be for roasties next time. Nothing went to waste. Big man chucked all the soft, boiled bones on the lawn and the Red Kites swooped down and grabbed them. No waste at all. I was pleased with what we managed to do with it.

I got some great bargains in Tesco on Sunday. I never usually find the real cheapies but Sunday afternoon was productive.
I am a shopping tart, I don't care wherei go and prefer to shop at Aldi or Lidl but not always possible. I have used Tesco a bit lately as I've had the BzzAgent vouchers to use.

Hope you are all well ,

Much love
Fib. X

4 comments:

  1. Good chicken use! And how lovely that you have red kites visit your back garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is really good. Who knew there were so many uses for just one chicken. Well done and thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top marks for utilising every component. I must get back to basics myself as I've strayed at little lately. The jelly must definately be used as a stock base. Keep up the good work ! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. I had decided only an hour before reading your blog to buy chicken next week. I have been under the weather this week with tonsilitis and know a chicken soup would have been good for me, trouble all I have wanted to eat is ice cream and cold things! But will make some as I will need to build up my strength again. I love a rubber chicken!

    ReplyDelete