Translate

Thursday 4 July 2013

Mix and match dinner draw.

Dear reader,

I got some great yellow stickers at Teaco last Sunday. I often read your blogs about bargains you got but I never seem to find them myself. A few pence off here and there but that's about it.
I was chuffed to be in Tesco last Sunday at 430pm and saw a crowd of people around a shop assistant who was snickering items. Why do these people stand there, not letting anyone else in as if to form a ring of steel round the discounts?
Anyway, I elbowed my way in and managed to get,

4 pack of bacon was £5 reduced to £1
Finest spinach and ricotta fill parcels £5 reduced to £1.10
Thai curry pot £2.80 reduced to 70p
2 chicken thighs can't recall the original cost 32p each
Finest sliced ham x3 56 p each
Chicken breat mini fillets reduced to 70p

The ham went I to sandwiches for lunches at work.
The chicken breasts were put in one of my Maggi BBQ roasting bags (Approved Food).
I cooked these in the lovely sauce it am,es from the juices then crisped them up.
Big man had these for lunch. He used to be a regular patron of a fried chicken shop and I try to do him some chicken pieces now and again.
The chicken mini fillets were dipped in eggs then Maggi breadcrumbs and baked. (Again for Big man)
The parcels (which were gorgeous but I wouldn't want to pay £5 for them) and the Thai curry pot were used for a very mix and match dinner for us. With a slice of ham and some tomato pasta I had left over.
I think I just wanted to taste some of my bargains all at once.
Who else mixes and matches to use up?
What's the strangest dinner you have served up?
Send me your strangest dinners and I will enter them all in a draw for a prize!
Enter your comment on this post and I will do the draw Monday evening.

Much love
FIB. X

6 comments:

  1. All the time! Someone on a forum years ago told me she calls it "taco bar" in order to make it sound like an exciting pick and mix rather than bottom of the freezer scrapings.

    Probably the weirdest thing was a three stage pie where I took three tubs of unlabelled stuff from the freezer and wrapped it all in pastry. Thankfully it was chilli and two types of curry (one coconutty, one tomatoey) so it wasn't half bad.

    On a similar note DH requested "spicy ragout" for tonight. I asked him what it was and he didn't know he just liked the sound of the words. Soooo, that should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to make a Morroccan inspired dish with chick peas the other week - got everything ready and then discovered that I had no chick peas at all. Switched for kidney beans - it was a bit odd, but quite tasty!
    I did a £40 shop in T's last week and using several vouchers managed to get it down to £28...the £3.63 off my next shop on their price-match thing was just the icing on the cake really!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice surprise was leftover cooked spaghetti stirred into eggs and milk to make a filling frittata!

    Your dinner sounds lovely... like eating at a posh buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fry up left over spag Bol or pasta in the morning adding couple of beaten eggs. First one up gets the jackpot !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used left over fajita seasoning with some glass noodles which needed to go and the odds and ends of veggies from the fridge- wasn't too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is not a "real meal"! but it is my favourite sandwich in the world and I have it for dinner when I am on my own.
    2 slices of wholemeal bread toasted, buttered then on one slice I put a thick layer of crunchy peanut butter and top that with crispy streaky bacon, then if I have it some sliced avocado and on the other slice a thick layer of strawberry jam, homemade of course. then sandwich together, I cut this into 4 and hide away and enjoy. It involves lots of slurping, finger licking and picking bits off the plate with a damp finger ( that is why I only have it when on my own) a large mug of strong black tea finishes it off. Perfik!

    ReplyDelete