Translate

Sunday 14 July 2013

Boot sale buying and selling.

Dear reader,

Got up, got packed, got going. My first boot sale in years.

I had forgotten how tight some people are. We were selling good stuff from when we both rich.
Karen Millen, Coast, Monsoon and the like. My goodness, they were debating over 50p and then pulling £20 and £50 notes out. And some were a bit.... well, cocky is the best word.
Now I like a bargain as much as the next frugal girl but it was too hot and they were getting on my nerves. My friend (the hoarder) and I are no shrinking violets to say the least. A few items of clothing were pulled from battering hands and binned in front of them or taken home despite protestations and notes being thrust.  I don't mind a barter but rudeness I will not stand for.

Anyway, rant over. That feels much better.
We paid our £12 (hoarder paid for both as she had loads and I had helped her out ). Parked the car an immediately the dealers were there before I even got out. "Any records love?" " Got any jewellery?"
We got and and locked the car wanting a little mooch ourselves. I had been after a metal jug for ages, you know the white and blue ones. Enamel, that's it. I saw a lovely big white one which I got for £2.50 and a cute little, white, wooden step for £5. I will put a plant or flowers on this.
(At the end of a long, hot 4 hours, I made £50 and the hoarder made £100. She was pleased and wants to do another one next weeken)

Lavender from the garden and I think this looks lovely.

Do you boot sell? Do you get cross too?

Oh yes, the £50? I put it in my sealed pot. Must go and tell SFT now, she will be pleased.

Hoping for a peaceful week ahead and slightly cooler weather.

FIB. X

6 comments:

  1. Well done, selling at carboots is like a battle these days which is why we only do one about once in 3 years ( plus we try to avoid buying STUFF in the first place.) I hope your friend didn't go off to collect more things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, people are rude. I've bought a lot at carboots - our house is furnished by buying at them, and auctions and charity shops. I like a haggle as much as the next person, but I never, ever haggle over a fair price, because when I'm selling it's the one thing that really gets my back up.
    Well done on the amount you made and for putting it straight into the sealed pot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done exactly the same - refused to sell some items when people have been so rude. Good find on the step stool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate hearing people trying to haggle down what is clearly a fair price - if it seems high, then I might try a haggle, but if it's genuinely a fair price for what you're buying, smile and hand over the money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got some stuff to get rid off, might do a car boot sale, on the other hand it might be easier to give it to a charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not boot sale. They don't do that here and I don't have a boot to sell from anyway, lol. We do have something similar but usually in smaller towns. In the big city where I live there are yard sales and sometimes several homes get together and host a multiple yard sale to draw more people out.

    I certainly don't blame you for feeling annoyed and pulling things out of people's hands. I too believe in a bargain and haggling but many people are simple cheapskate, unrealistic and downright rude. You were right to get annoyed and to try and ignore them.

    ReplyDelete