Translate

Tuesday 19 November 2013

Is lamb really that expensive? For JL.

Dear reader and especially Jill,

I have been absent from writing for a while. I have received some lovely, lovely  comments and they have really cheered me on.

What's been going on? I have read a few blogs but not every day. I have been working as usual.
Last week 7 days straight with a couple of 12 hour days thrown in for good measure.

I have still been cooking and had a major session today.

This is what I made.

4 portions of 6 in a portion faggots. (Is it gg or tt in the spelling? I never know)

2x2 portion lasagnes

1x2 portion cannelloni

1x2 portion cauliflower cheese

A carrot cake

I also bought a treat a couple of weekends ago. A leg of lamb. It was huge and was £13 and a few pence. Not very frugal.........or so I thought.

I slow roasted it with incisions in the skin which I stuffed with the usual garlic and Rosemary and also anchovy fillets which melt and don't taste at all fishy but give it a lovely, salty savoury taste.
We had a normal sized portion of meat each. Then when it was cold, I carved the rest of it.

To my surprise I managed to have enough meat left for 4 more dinners. When I say a dinner I mean one dinner each so really 8 separate dinners.
Now, I'm not talking loads and loads of slabs of meat but a decent amount each.

I saved one portion for the next day and the others I tupperwared and froze.

The next day I fried some onion, garlic and fresh chilli. Added an Approved Food thai curry paste.
I had halved and roasted a butternut squash the day before with the leg of lamb and scooped all the lovely, soft orange flesh into the pan. I put the lamb in which I had cubed so it all got coated and then half a tin of coconut milk, which again was surplus last time and I had frozen in a plastic container.
 The rest remains frozen. That leg of lamb wasn't quite so expensive after all. I will definately do the same again.

I'm thinking mini lamb kebabs, stuffed into warm pittas with salad and humous, lamb Biryani, lamb stew with fat dumplings and pearl barley, Asian lamb with chilli, spring onion and fish sauce.

Stop me, I'm getting hungry.

I write from my bed tonight. Electric blanket it on. I know it sounds a bit old fashioned ( the people at my work take the p out of me) but honestly both big man and I thinks it's the best thing we have bought for ages.
We got it back in September so we were prepared. There is no heating on although we did have the log burner on earlier. It was 22 in the lounge and 21 in the hall which is more than ample for us.
The washing is drying in front of the fading embers now and will be dry for the morning.

So glad to be back. Now I've written, I realise how I've missed blogging.

Thank you all for sticking by me and JL a kiss for you X.



6 comments:

  1. We haven't had lamb for ages, we used to raise our own which was delicious, you've made me remember how lovely a leg of lamb is.
    hope you are feeling more positive now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap, we had Lamb on Sunday, I stripped the bone ( boiled for stock and then gave it to Ben) put most of the meat into the freezer. Last night I cubed some and mixed it with a lttle thick gravy and a tsp of mint sauce and made little pasties, we call them Tiddy Oggies. Delish!. Lamb is expensive but it has a good flavour and I can stretch it a long way. Mind you I bought rather a lot from Mr T when he put them on a very good offer, and managed to get several RTC. Glad to see you back sounding positive. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad to see you back :) That's some marathon cooking session there, but it does save so much time during the week. Just have to keep reminding myself of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you are feeling brighter

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you are feeling brighter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so pleased you're back. I agree sometimes paying a large outlay for a Sunday joint is really quite frugal in the end ! I paid £12 for a piece of Topside for last Sunday's lunch from Morrisons. I got 8 dinners from it plus 2 lots of sandwiches from the next day. If all 8 of us went out for a Sunday pub lunch it would have cost well over a £100. Your meals sound delicious by the way x

    ReplyDelete