Translate

Wednesday 20 November 2013

Why am I frugal?

Dear reader,

Can't stop now, on a roll.

I got thinking about being frugal and why. Also what I do to save money.

The reasons we are frugal.

1. Firstly, we have a large debt to pay back. This is the money we spent on the house renovation.

2. I want my parents to live closer to me. They moved away and downsized so they didn't have a mortgage anymore as they are both retired. Or so they thought......(father has had to return to work for financial reasons)
I would like to be able to finance their move back here in a couple of years. Not all of it but a few thousand.

3. With the constant warnings of prize rises, crappy pensions and cost of living, we want to be able to have a decent retirement.
I don't want to work forever. I'm 43 now and don't really want to work past 55. Well, not in my current job anyway.

We have big plans to pay off our mortgage earlier than planned. Another reason to quit the smoking!

I'm probably wishful thinking but I like to have a plan. I may be a few years out but I have to have a goal to aim for.

One of my main money savers that I have learned from some of your blogs is home cooking.
It's very rare that we go out for a meal or a takeaway and we take packed lunches nearly every day with a few lapses in emergencies.

I have found that batch cooking is my best time and money saver. A bag of spuds, a pack of pork mince and a couple of packs of pigs liver and an onion and I can prepare about 5 dinners for the two of us both, all for under £10.

Faggots are my go to quick, easy and tasty recipe.

Lasagne is also another favourite here. Very little time to make a couple. I do the white sauce myself. Simple. I'm sure much cheaper then the shops and (I was going to say I know what's in them, hoping the beef mince is beef!)

Is it me or do we seem to have forgiven the supermarkets very quickly and easily for the horse meat scandal?
Don't get me started on kebab meat, not that I eat it. I have heard that even donkey has been found in that revolting, fat dripping lump turning in the window. Shocked? Sadly in the uk today, not really.

Big man was telling me that yesterday he had reason to be behind a pizza take away shop. Work related, nothing seedy. He reckoned that if people could see the conditions of the kitchen and food prep areas they would never eat one again.

I know I am preaching to the converted but I've had take out pizzas many times. Eeeeeuuuukkk.

Sorry I have gone off piste a bit and having a rant instead.

Still, if you were thinking of ordering a take away this week, save your money.




4 comments:

  1. We have a treaty takeaway once a month and thoroughly enjoy it - in fact we probably enjoy it all the more for the fact that it's no longer a weekly habit! There are certainly good and bad on takeaways and we tend to stick with those in the area that we know are good, or have been recommended by others.
    I'm afraid I didn't buy my meat at the supermarket before the Horse Meat "scandal" and I don't now either - ironically far worse than the horse being found was the fact that pork was found in various products that should not have contained it. That seemed to pretty much pass under the radar though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased you are back - you are such an excellant blogger. You don't lecture, patronise or sermonise like another well known blogger! Anyway I just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your posts and also how fantastic are you and your partner to have cleared so much of your debt!! That's really impressive. Hope your stress has eased a little and you have been able to work shorter days, I agree with you regarding the supermarkets - i try to buy all my meat from my local farm shop in Lancashire (it's actually cheaper than the supermarket and organic) and my free range chicken from Aldi,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your faggots look very tasty ..... and I'm a veggie!!

    Nice to have you back :-)

    ReplyDelete