Translate

Wednesday 14 January 2015

finding food

Dear reader,

We have ripped out the larder this morning so we can put our fridge freezer in there and perhaps add a small table and chairs to the kitchen. I found a whole lot of lost and forgotten goodies.

BBQ sauces- about 20 of them from an old approved food order.
Pasta-spaghettie, lasagne sheets and some penne.
Tins of soup-x4
Tins of tuna
X4 tins of anchovy fillets-we like them in a salad or stuffed into a leg of lamb with garlic.
Some old salad seeds-went out for the birds
White rice-we are trying to eat brown so I will mix it.
Sultans, cherries and flour-a fruit cake of some description.

The freezer is pretty bare. A shepherds pie, a frozen chicken curry and one of vegetable. Smoked salmon and some mixed veg.

Today we will have the smoked salmon with eggs. We will have the veggie curry with the rice and h/m flatbreads and I will make a tuna pasta bake for tomorrow. Big man can have this with a jacket potato for his lunch.

I also found my old pasty making kit so will get some made tomorrow. We like cheese, onion and mashed potato in ours with a good grind of pepper.

A lasagne is also overdue and may jazz up a soup with some rice to make more of a meal.

The BBQ sauce will have to wait for some chicken breasts and we like melted cheese and olives on them.

What's on your dinner table this week?

X


4 comments:

  1. Doesnt it feel good when you find a forgotten stash' .. silly .. but it does.
    Sounds like you are getting all organised ready for a fruitful year .. I love stocking the cupboards. I've just out in an Approved Food order .. when I looked at the site I found they had given me a free delivery code .. not to be sniffed at. So I ordered lots of soup-y stuff and whatnot .. as you know we eat a lot of soup!
    We had leaftovers tonight in the shape of potato cake-y things from last nights mash ..with some sorry looking tomatoes and a little pork chop.
    Keep up the thrifty cooking!

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are eating the most random meals as I use up fresh and frozen stuff prior to moving to Dorset. Tonight our "veg" was 2 small carrots, 2 chunks of broccoli stalk a few florets, and a quarter cabbage - sliced and diced, steamed and then drizzled with a little rapeseed oil. It was surprisingly tasty.
    I suspect tuna pasta bake will be on the menu sometime this week.
    Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog- fortunately, apart from some of the spices, no food was ruined in the flooding. But I found a packet of Jusrol pastry [yellow stickered of course] lurking right at the back of the freezer. I plan on making 2 small quiches tomorrow with the eggs my friend gave me, a few rashers of bacon, and some rather sad looking spring onions from the bottom of the salad drawer. Bob's quiche will have grated cheese on it - also a forgotten-in-the-freezer find! Any suggestions for using up frozen spinach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are 101 ways with potatoes this week. We bought a sack at the end of November and a couple are starting to get a bit sprouty, so we're having a push in them. Tonight we're having a hot pot - sliced onions, carrots and potatoes layered up with green lentils, covered in a herby stock and bunged in the oven for as long as I can wait. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to see you blogging again :-)

    For the new year I've decided to try my hand at menu planning. I've started with one week, then added a 2nd week. I will probably do about 4 weeks altogether then simply rotate. I've never done this before. I've always just bought food on sale and then figured out each day or two ahead what I should make. I don't like to spend too much time figuring out what to eat and then having to prepare it. But I'm finding out so far I like having the menu plan. It allows me the freedom of not having to plan each and every day. I think I am going to benefit from a healthier diet IF I can keep it up. The if is in caps because I know how I dislike routine and though I can follow routines for months, I often fall out of routine and then it is hard to get back on it.

    Anyway, I was going to ask you what kind of smoked salmon and eggs you are having? I would never think to pair eggs with salmon. Is it thinly sliced salmon like lox, or is it a whole fillet of smoke salmon? How do you do the eggs? So many questions because I was gifted with a whole smoked salmon (in 2 halves) for Christmas. Though good I found it was a bit strong for me. I still have one to use.

    ReplyDelete