Translate

Tuesday 13 January 2015

stress free slow cooking

Dear reader,

I have been trying to get organised and get a meal in the slow cooker most mornings so it's ready when we get home. With this wet and windy weather it's nice to have a hot meal waiting for us.

Yesterday was a simple chilli but made with quorn mince which I just put in frozen. A diced onion, clove or garlic, splash of chilli sauce and a tin of chopped tomatoes. ( I buy them whole and chop myself-cheaper) a squirt of tomatoe ketchup and left on low for 8 hours. Perfect on a jacket potato with grated cheese.

This morning I chopped two onions and a garlic clove. Most of my meals start like that!  I fried some chopped bacon that was lurking with a few mushrooms also chopped and diced two small potatoes. I had some pulses for stews, the ones with split peas, lentils and pearl barley that I had soaked and boiled. It all went in with an instant gravy. Thickened with a little cornflour and water when we got home. Just the sort of thick stew to have with bread.
We had no bread! Aaaggghhh.

I mixed warm water with flour and a drizzle of sesame oil as that was the only oil I had ( I use fry light) and made hot flatbreads. Perfect for wrapping round a large chunk of chicken and potato.

It was so quick and as I seem to be waking up really early most mornings I find it easier to prepare our meal then.

Has anyone seen the recipes from the woman who makes loads of meals for her slow cooker in one go and freezes them. Think I'm going to give it a go for working days anyway.

Happy stress free cooking. X

1 comment:

  1. I use my slow cooker and always fill it up, then portion and freeze. It gives me a ding dinner with no work when I am busy or just do not want to cook.

    ReplyDelete