Translate

Thursday 15 January 2015

Spicy chicken, butternut and sweet potato lasagne

Dear reader,

As we are both full time workers we like to make the most of our evenings at home, reading, blogging, watching television and eating.

I was intrigued by claims to make several meals in one go, freeze them raw, defrost the night before and into the slow cooker or crock pot the following morning.
Here's the link slow cooker recipes

One day of shopping, chopping and labelling seems a good idea if I can have several evenings of little food prep.

Tonight after having our shopping delivered last night I had chicken breasts and a bag of sweet potato and butternut squash. Hmmm....what to make?

We both love lasagne so I boiled the veg in water with a teaspoon of chicken Bovril for flavour. I diced the chicken and browned it with an onion and a garlic clove. Once the veg was cooked I drained it, reserving the water and mashed it. I added the chicken and onions and loosened with a little water. It tasted a bit bland so in went, a squirt of tomato ketchup, a squirt of HP sauce, a couple dashes Worcestershire sauce and a teaspoon of hot chilli sauce along with a good grind of pepper and a pinch of salt.

I made the White sauce by melting a knob of butter and adding flour. I like to let that cook a bit first. Then I added a dash of milk but used the rest of the water to make my sauce.

Big man had been given some hot, chilli cheeses for Christmas so I grated half of one into the sauce. Chef had to taste of course and it was gorgeous, creamy and tangy.

Then I layered up with lasagne sheets and it is now bubbling in the oven.

The remainder of the chilli cheese will go on top towards the end.

X

1 comment:

  1. Hello chook, thought I should come by and say hello, so 'Hello' ;-D Like the sound of the lasagne. We have a butternut squash growing in the garden, well there are more but only one is doing anything worth noticing. It's grown from seeds saved by a shop bought one, I'm hoping it will give us something. If that fails however our crown pumpkin is in the progress of taking over the garden, nay, the world! xx

    ReplyDelete