Translate

Friday 27 March 2015

A quick tea and how I cut costs.

Dear reader,

I've been up since 0430. I have to be at work at 0700 and I like to get up and have a potter. Read the news online, drink tea, shower, wash and dry hair and arrive at work early enough to get a parking space. It's a 45 minute drive so I'm out of the door by 0600.

Tonight I knew I had some cooked chicken drumsticks to use up and two approved food pizza bases in the larder. Hmmm Calzones!

Pulled the chicken off the bone, mixed with BBQ sauce and sliced some mozzarella cheese, folded in half and into the oven. I made an "everything" salad to go with.
Lettuce, tomato, olives, anchovies, croutons made of the old end of a loaf fried in garlic oil and crispy fried onions. Just everything I could use up.

I always save the ends of a loaf and put them in the freezer. Great for emergency toast, breadcrumbs, croutons or a summer or bread and butter pudding, into faggots or the topping for a vet able name. Don't throw away the ends.

My other momey savings are using any shower gel, fairy liquid or bubble bath for the hand wash I keep by the sink. I'm always washing my hands during cooking and I keep a pump dispenser by the sink. I just half fill it with whatever I have and add some water.

Porridge oats are our big saving. We used to buy the ready packs, you know the little cute packets you microwave. What a waste of money. We get a huge bag in Asda for 75p and eat this for breakfast with a teaspoon of cheap jam or a handful of blueberries if we want some fruit. I also use them to make flap jacks and always add them to a crumble topping or a handful in a stew, chilli or curry for that extra thick, creamy sauce.

I don't spend out on nails I just keep my own shortish and paint them myself very rarely. My hair is highlighted but thinking of going natural to save the £60 a month.

Make up! Wow that is expensive. I have a limited supply of foundation, powder, blusher, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara and lipstick. It seems a lot but it lasts for ages, well over a year. I don't wear any on days off. I like to let my skin breathe.
I'm not a fan of expensive creams. I usually buy a mid price face cream. I do have friends that buy the really, really expensive £200 plus brands. They promise to keep you younger looking for longer. The trouble is, when you get to 60,70 and beyond, how do you know if they worked or would you look like that anyway? And would you care?


2 comments:

  1. Amazing that some people pay so much for face cream. A dermatologist once said that seeing as your skin is an organ, don't put anything on it unless it was pure enough to eat. I certainly wouldn't be eating my face cream at that price:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get the chance to save the ends of a loaf for breadcrumbs - they're Dan's favourite bit! Still, at least nothing goes to waste.

    I have to say, I know a lot of people in their 60s, 70's and older who are really interested in their appearance. Not because they want to look younger but because it's still important to them (many of them are dating so want to look as gorgeous as possible!).

    ReplyDelete