Translate

Sunday 22 March 2015

A cooking weekend

Dear reader,

Hope you are well. A few new followers which is lovely, a big hello to you. X

Have had a housey weekend as we were both off. The sun shone and several loads of washing were dried outside. I love the smell of line dried washing. We did all the clothes and our bedding which always makes us sleep really well. I am a bit obsessed witha certain comfortable fabric softener! The strawberry one. I just love it.

I decided to do some batch cooking as we had both been so busy at work there was nothing prepared for packe lunches during the latter part of the week and it annoys me to spend out on food when we had it at home.

This is what we bought: chicken breasts x4, minced beef x4, chicken thighs and drumsticks mixed, beef meatballs(12 in the pack) 2packs of pork steaks 5in each, special offer at Lidl £8 for the two.
They don't sell liver or I would have made some of Frugal Queens excellent faggots.

This is what I made, so far: one huge pan of chicken tikka massala, one chicken and potato balti curry, a huge pan of spicy rice, 3 lasagnes (one given away), large pan of sweet and sour pork and a pork casserole which we had today with roasties, mash, carrots and cabbage.

I got a huge cabbage from the local farm for £1 and decided I would try to use it all instead of throwing half away when it goes off. So I chooped it all up, washed it and blanched in boiling water. Then I cooled in cold water, let dry and bagged into 2 portion sizes in sandwich bags for the freezer.

The lasagnes are all portioned and frozen and the curries are portioned with the rice for dinners at work and also frozen.

I see Frugal Queen has been doing the same and she has made some fabulous looking quiches! I will make a couple of these this week too I think.
We have a freezer full now and ready to grab and go meals for taking to work.
I feel happy to be organised and prepared.

Much love. X

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've made some wonderful meals ahead. I don't buy cabbage that often and sometime only buy half at a time so it doesn't sit forever in the fridge. But today I made some wonderful, healthy soup: cabbage eggplant, tomatoes, leeks, red pepper and fresh parsley. I added a bit of basil and oregano and put it in my pressure cooker for 15 minutes. It was delicious and very quick so I'm going to make it often. You can add other veggies if you like. I didn't even add salt or boullion. Putting it in the pressure cooker meant all the flavours of the veggies came out into the broth. You can make it in the slow cooker too. I remember you have a slow cooker. I'm the one who commented in one of your posts that I do not like slow cookers (they cook too slowly for me and I don't like to leave it plugged in all day). I gave my slow cooker to a friend. Bon appetite with all your wonderful meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foody weekend sounds perfect. At the time it feels like a hard slog but its so worth it in the end, a lovely home cooked meal and ready to go lunches are the best. Well done you.

    I need to do this, I have loads in the freezer........just joined Slimming World too!!

    Have a great week....Bon Appetite xx

    ReplyDelete