Translate

Thursday 26 March 2015

Hungry girls minestrone.

Dear reader,

Had another nice day at home. Had hoped to hang out some washing but the sky went from sun to dark cloud most of the day with some lashing rain.
I was cold today, we still have the heating on and the log burner for the evenings. We also use it to dry clothes overnight and they are totally dry in the morning.

Today I fancied something hearty and filling to eat and wasn't in the mood for meat. I didn't know what I wanted. I had onion, celery, cabbage, garlic, tinned tomatoes so a hungry girls minestrone it was.

My mum used to cook this when I lived at home it basically a vegetable stew with additions the next day if you fancy.
Chooped onion, garlic and celery, fried in the tiniest bit of olive oil until soft but not brown. Chopped cabbage, any variety will do, add the tinned tomatoes. (I use whole becuase they are cheaper and leave them whole as they keep the sweetness and mush them in when cooked, Jamie said so!)
Salt, pepper, dash of Worcestershire, dash of brown sauce, dash of red sauce, a bit of tomato purée and I always add a sweetener or teaspoon of sugar. I added 3 cups of water and a handful of pasta shapes and just left it.

Two bowfuls with grated, melting cheese on top later and I was replete.

You could add some chopped meat, tin of sweet corn, peas, pulses or even rice, as long as you keep adding liquid.
It calls out for thick crusty bread and butter or a warm ciabatta roll.

What's your comfort food?

X

1 comment: