Translate

Sunday 29 March 2015

Nothing leftover and a message to you.

Dear reader,

I'm having a lazy Sunday. I got up at 5am and promptly went back to bed until 1030. I don't lie in often but do enjoy is occasionally.

I did a load of washing and becuase the weather is awful here I lit the log burner and there are two racks drying in front.

We both had the sweet and sour pork I made last week with some frozen special friend rice I saw in the reduced section at Asda some weeks ago and had stashed in the freezer. A quick microwave lunch for us both.
I sat and watched a bit of the Jamie Oliver programme on how to cook and save money. Not many tips and tricks for those of us who do this anyway but a few nice ideas.
He did a fish curry with some frozen fish, vegetables and frozen cauliflower with some tikka curry paste. Looked very good indeed but was £2.68 a portion with rice. Not exactly frugal food but not bad. I was surprised that frozen white fish is a third cheaper than fresh and cauliflower is three times cheaper frozen than fresh. He also did some crispy pork tacos using leftover pork meat from a roast and a chicken salad from a whole chicken dinner leftovers. I think we all make great meals out of leftovers. I'm not sure they should even be called leftovers! Seconds, we call them here!

I try really hard not to waste any food and limp veg, lettuce, spinach-anything, goes into a soup. Ends of bread are made into croutons or crunchy toppings, meat is either sliced and used in sandwiches, curried or added to a tomato sauce for lasagnes. I reuse sandwich bags for the odd half an onion and cheese is purchased in large blocks, grated, portioned and frozen. It freezes brilliantly. Old fruit is sliced and frozen and used in cold drinks. Old apples, Pears and stoned fruit are cooked and then frozen for crumbles or compote on porridge. Nuts and dried fruit are bought in bulk then portioned for snacks at work and for adding to homemade flapjacks. Extra is made at dinner times for lunches the next day and any excess of vegetables are chooped, blanched and frozen. Milk and cream, if not used in time are frozen and bread is purchased in reduced section and again, frozen.
I'm sure lots of you do the same or have other ideas and suggestions, I would love to hear from you.

I've had a short blogging break as most of us do and am trying to get writing again. It's usually about food or what I have done that day or money saving stuff. I had hoped for a good read with a cuppa today but I find that a lot of the blogs that I used to really enjoy are no longer written.
Obvioulsy there maybe all sorts of reasons why not. After all we don't really know about some of our blogging friends, there could be a tragedy or someone health maybe suffering or they may have been trolled and don't want to blog anymore and that's perfectly understandable but for all of you who, perhaps like me sometimes, just can't be arsed, please do me a favour, drop a really quick blog line down and post it, it would be lovely to hear from you, Mabel and Maisey, Miss Piggy Bank, Frugal up North, closet clearing, frugal Tasmania, a frugal wife, bonnie of Clyde and many others. Just let us know you are doing ok. Xxx

12 comments:

  1. I too enjoy a good frugal blog .. people who seem to be 'like minded' .. its nice to know we are not all alone in the world with our thrifty lifestyle. Although I know I am so rushed sometimes and dont comment half as much as I should .. but I would/do miss people when they take a break and dont post blogs.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping in Victoria and leaving a comment, it's always really lovely to get comments. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's spooky! - as I have a post started in my Drafts titled "where are they now?". I was planning to look back at old posts and see who commented then and had a blog but isn't around anymore. To your list I would add Dreamer- dreaming of a quiet life- who I know looked after a very poorly husband. AlisonB43 used to comment on my blog often but haven't heard from her lately.
    I will get round to a post on this sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds.....ah yes Alison B43 used to comment a lot here too. Wonder what's happened to them all. I used to have a really good reading session from all the blogs I follow but now lucky to get 4-5 posts a day. Shame. X

      Delete
  4. I've seen a couple of comments from Mabel and Maisy recently, Miss PB sometimes comments on my blog, and Liz ( dreamer) has removed hers. I used to be in email contact with her, but I didn't get a reply to my last email so I don't know what has happened, but I do miss her :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sarah, I'm still here :-) just had a lovely break in Plymouth, seeing my youngest son and family. Hopefully I will get round to a blog post in the next couple of days. Alison B 43 is still around and back from her last lot if travelling and has taken up a new position at a campsite working for the summer. Maybe you could join the Frugaldom Forum, a few of us are on there, it a lovely friendly forum for like minded frugallers. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thanks for the quick reply, just hadn't seen you blog for a while. Will have a look at ff. x

      Delete
  6. I don't particularly like wasting food either, we have had a glut of some home grown veggies over the summer and I try and use as much as I can, chutneys, relishes etc. Anything I don't uses gets fed to the animals such as oversized courgettes etc. Some veg I freeze because they freeze well, other things I don't. My reusing forte is with crafty stuff really :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sue, i wish I could do the quilts that I see on here but I'm hopeless and very impatient! I think I will just stick to cooking and eating which I'm very good at! X

      Delete
  7. I too was very surprised at the cheapness of some frozen foods compared to their fresh or chilled equivalents. Quorn products too are much cheaper from the freezer.

    There are a few missing bloggers at the moment, like you say it's always reassuring when they leave a message saying it's a purposeful break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you're back blogging! I guess I just found a different hobby to occupy my time (photography) formerly Swings and Roundabouts. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you back blogging :)

    ReplyDelete