Translate

Thursday 27 June 2013

Frugal flat bread and using up.

Dear reader,

Big man and I have been off work this week to visit my parents as it was my mums birthday and we like to spend a couple of days at home catching up with jobs.
I have done three loads of washing today which I got dry on the line. I use a tiny amount of washing liquid and usually use the 30 degree wash which is fine. I do use fabric conditioner and have a bit of an obsession with a strawberry and lily one at the moment. I only buy it when it's on offer though.

I got another BzzAgent product through today. I will be trying Danio yoghurts and they have sent me vouchers to buy them so I will let you know what they are like.

Using up what we have prompted a good scrummage in the freezer. I found a bag of king prawns, some Thai curry sauce which we had frozen after making too much and a bag of mixed peas and sweetcorn. I always have rice, so boiled this and added the peas and sweetcorn. Heated the curry sauce and when hot added the prawns. Big man fancied some flatbreads. They are so easy to make and lovely to dunk into curry and other saucey food.
I knew there were a couple of onion bhaji mixes in the larder which I had for from Approved Food a while ago. The trouble is that you have to deep fry them. I tried spraying oil on them and cooking in the oven but they were rock hard. After seeing that the ingredients are chick pea flour and spices I added some to my normal flour for the flatbreads. It made them yellow and had more flavour. An excellent way to use up what I had already.

If you fancy making flat breads, here's how.

You will need

Flour-any type
Oil-any type
Salt-small pinch
Warm water

Put the flour in a large bowl. I just guess the amount I use but I suppose a mug full is about right.
Add a tablespoon of oil-it doesn't matter if you add more but you have to add some to be able to cook them without burning. Olive oil, sunflower, any type will do.
Pinch of salt
Warm water until you can roll it into a nice dough. Add more flour if too sticky.
You can add herbs now if you like, garlic powder, coriander whatever you fancy. You can adapt for whatever meal you are having, basil for Italian with some Parmesan cheese would be good.

You must get a frying pan hot, I turn it to the highest and then divide the dough into little balls and roll out as thin as you can. Put into the pan and you will see tiny bubbles appear after a few seconds, now turn them over. You will suss out your own way to make and cook these but they are an easy and cheap option and better then buying something similar in the shops. You could also use them as wraps instead.

I have a chicken defrosting for tommorow which I am going to try to make last several meals. Ill let you know how I get on.

Much love
FIB. X

1 comment:

  1. With your onion bhaji's have you tried making them into flat patties rather than round balls and then shallow frying in a regular frying pan? I do that with anything that requires deep frying and it usually works just fine!

    ReplyDelete