Translate

Sunday 16 June 2013

My meal plan and shopping bargains.

Dear reader,

Despite my good intentions not to go shopping, Big Man wanted some porridge oats and bread so as I still had some Buzz Agent vouchers we headed off to Tesco.
£46 later we got a few things we needed and some more.

I was especially pleased to get a few reduced items. I had picked up the Tesco entertaining range Mexican cheese toppers as Big Man adored this and I had £1 off. They were £1.50 so they would cost me 50p.
Then I saw the exact same ones in the reduced action for 39p each-result! Grabbed all four and the £1 off vouchers earned me some money, I got 61p back on each one.
I came over all American coupon crazy!

Then I found some antipasti olives, manchego cheese and sundried tomatoes. Reduced from £2.50 to 63p. I grabbed all five and we had some today for lunch and the others will be tossed into my salads for work. Free salad from the garden so this will be a cheap meal.
I had a £3 voucher left to use and we chose the halloumi in sweet chilli which we fried gently.
I can report, it was superb.




I am enjoying experimenting with frugal cooking and I have a cheap beef brisket joint in the slow cooker. It's been in on low since 830 this morning in an onion gravy and still seems tough. Apparently you have to cook it for ages according to Hugh FW. Anyone know when it will soften?

My menu for this week is as follows

Tonight-Beef (hopefully tender) mash, veg. Stewed rhubarb and ice cream.

Monday-Sweet and sour pork, egg fried rice.(Boiled rice with a chopped omlette)

Tuesday-Steak and kidney pie, mash, veg.

Wednesday-Big man out-snack for me

Thursday-Chicken stir fry, veg and rice.

Friday-Prawn curry, naan, rice.

Lunches will be sandwiches for Big man and salad as above for me.

We seem to eat a lot of meat although we both like Lind Mcartney sausages which we had this morning. Big man likes to have meat in his meal although I would like more vegetable dishes.
Any good recipes ideas?

Hope you all had a lovely weekend.

Much love
FIB. Xx

6 comments:

  1. I always head to the reduced sections first these days! You got some good bargains there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the way to save £145.50.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2343323/400-000-households-avoid-paying-TV-licence-watching-BBC-programmes-iPlayer.html
    I've had no telly for ten years now. (saved £1455). The only thing you can't watch is live football, which doesn't interest me anyway.
    Cheers......B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always cook brisket on low for 7/8 hours, if there are leftovers I chop them quite fine into thick gravy and use for a pie filling or inside a big Yorkshire Pudding. When brisket is cold it can be a bit stringy, although shredded and stirred into horseradish and mayo it is good in a sandwich or a jacket potato.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're really organised :) Halloumi is so delicious! We love to eat it melted over roasted vegetables like carrots, parsnips, tomatoes, potatoes, butternut squash - whatever's on special. Chop everything up, drizzle over olive oil, some lemon juice, crushed garlic and herbs (either dried or fresh whatever's to hand). Cook on 190 degrees for around 40 minutes and then add the sliced halloumi over the top for the last 10 - 15 mins - delicious and v filling too. Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if my post came through before, blogger and wordpress have a hard time talking to each other!

    What I said was that you're super organised and I enjoy reading your posts :) Halloumi is delicious. Have you tried it over roasted vegetables, it's a great veggie meal but also quite filling for the meat loving man! We chop up carrots, parsnips, potatoes, tomatoes, courgettes, whatever veggies are to hand, drizzle over olive oil, lemon juice, some pressed garlic and herbs (either dried or fresh, whatever you've got). Pop in the oven at 190 degrees for 40 mins, then slice the halloumi on top and return to the over for the last 10 minutes. Very tasty - the halloumi almost tastes like meat! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to have been awol, just got time to do a bit of catching up before going again :-)

    Fabulous bargains, I would have grabbed lots too, its one of my fave foods. Have you tried the Feta and the Goats cheeses from Aldi, they are gorgeous with crusty bread and olives.

    Yesterday a chap (chef) from the local pub made me a mexican chicken wrap OMG it was divine... all spicy and cheesey, I ate it that quick it hardly touched the sides. Next time I see him I will ask him how to do them. He was selling them at our community 'do' for £3 each but mine was free :-)

    Brisket takes ages in the slow cooker but its worth it and it makes gorgeous gravy. I actually like it better than topside.

    Have a great week
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete