Translate

Thursday 14 February 2013

Is eating out still on your menu?

Dear reader,

Caution: references to stuff found in food that shouldn't have been there and other nasty food stories.

I have come home to 89 new emails. Nearly all of them are after my money, be it deal websites, that, yes I am signed up to, PPI claims, insurance deals and a Russian Bride who wants to marry me as its Valentines day!

Big man and I don't do Valentines in a big way. He got a card and I got a card and a bar of chocolate.
That's it for us, no expensive flowers, no meals out, no bottle of anything fizzy. I love him every day anyway.

Tonight we ate from the freezer as stocks are low. Homemade huge burgers, never did shop ones anyway, chips and veggie sausage. Not very healthy but too tired to be inventive.
I am trying to use up my AF supply of cous cous so I have been taking this to work with a few vegetables and a bit of salad dressing.
Have another AF order arriving tomorrow, another website that can be so tempting, although 18 Belvita breakfast bars will not make me look like Lisa Snowden I fear!

I am finding myself a bit fearful of what we are sold in the shops now and was even worrying about what's in the water the other day! I don't trust take away shops anyway, having seen the kitchens of some of them. Is paranoia an age thing?

I lived in India as a child and remember seeing some of the chefs, particularly at the street food stalls, checking the heat of the cooking fat by spitting in it to see if it sizzled enough.
We didn't eat there but lived at a 5* hotel. It was the lates 70's and I remember my mum seeing a rat. She screamed, the waiters came running and shouted "No problem madam." Followed by one of them stamping on it. (Sorry if I've made you feel ill from the above two delightful stories)

Still, I've had my fair share of the delights of British fast food, the fried chicken, the greasy strips of greying meat carved from what looks like an elephants leg, the shinning curry with layer of gee, the burger, the pizza (Italian peasants food, now yours for £15.99 to your door) the sneezed on salad cart.
I've had a lot of extras in my food too, a nut and bolt in a stuffed pepper, a plastic microwave bag in a curry, a wire cable in a chicken shop, blood on an airline sandwich, chipped my tooth on a piece of tandoor oven in my naan and a piece of glass! I would like to add, I have only ever eaten at what I thought were decent restaurants. Yuk, listing it sounds gross.

We eat at home now and save a fortune. How about you, what takeaway food do you enjoy.
(Probably none now I've put you off-sorry)

Hope you have eaten and sweet dreams.

Sarah x

2 comments:

  1. Your post really made me chuckle, its all so true!! No more processed food here not that we bought much anyway, no more supermarket meats either its back to the local butcher for us. We once went out for a meal and I had salad...safe you might think, until a piece of lettuce moved and a huge slug appeared munching its way through my dinner faster than me!!!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    Thanks for commenting. It was a bit graphic but all true!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete