Translate

Sunday 24 February 2013

Sunday cooking.

Dear reader,

Haven't had a chance to blog as have been at work every day since last Sunday, 10 hours plus a day.
Did manage to get to Asda one night and stocked up on a few things. Spent £50 and got a reduced organic chicken for £7. I roasted it and let it cool then stripped it yesterday and used it for the hoisin duck wrap packs I got from Approved Food for 50p with some onions and plum sauce in wraps and it was lovely.

I only have today off work and didn't want to waste it so got up at 0830 and cracked on with some cooking and washing.
I set my food processor to work and diced a load on onions to freeze as I seem to use a chopped onion in most meals. I also did the same to celery and carrots and used half of these to fry for a shepherds pie. I then added two packets of Quorn mince. These are on offer in Asda, x3 for £5.
Added a couple of beef stock cubes and some onion gravy and have a large pie and 2 small ones.

I also tried some Quorn sausages and Big Man reckoned they were more sausagey than meat sausages. As you know, the meat/horse saga has really put me off and I can't even look at the mince in the shops anymore. I was really surprised the other night to see people buying processed ready meals still. Mind you they had been greatly reduced.
I am always surprised that people buy a curry or a shepherds pie when they are so easy to make yourself.

I then made bread crumbs from the ends of a few loaves. I always keep the unused bread end and put the in the freezer. When I need breadcrumbs I just put them in the toaster and the put in the processor for instant breadcrumbs and no waste.

I also minced some pork chops, liver and added to the breadcrumbs and onion and made 20 faggots.
I will cook these later when I do our dinner. I will then bag the fagotts in an onion gravy and will have instant dinners for a couple of weeks. They taste very good and you must try them. They are not really livery and you can always just say they are meatballs if the faggots word puts anyone off.
They would be nice in a rich tomato sauce on some buttery noodles

For dinner I got 2 organic lamb steaks and will fry these later and serve with some roasties, carrots and peas.

We have a smattering of snow here this morning and it is cold so we have the heating on. Will be walking the fat dog later and may go up to Hughendon and take him in the woods there. It's a lovely National Trust property which we can visit free since we joined last year. It was only £66 for the two of us and I reckon we saved nearly they in just 2 visits. Have a look at their website, there are some fantastic places to go to and I reckon we save loads by doing this rather than mooching round the shops.

What are you cooking this week?

Sarah x

2 comments:

  1. My you are busy, at least spending a day in a nice warm kitchen you know you will have the luxury of pulling out of the freezer at short notice something delicious to eat. I think this week will see the end of the "ready meals" in my freezer then I can start again with the cooking for another month.

    I agree with you about the NT we have been members for about 28 years and always think its great value for money. We tend to base our caravanning holidays around a farmers site near a couple of NT properties that are well away from consumerism. We have even been know to take our own Cream Tea to eat in the gardens :-)

    Enjoy your day, it's just starting to snow here in Yorkshire :-(

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    It's so much easier to do a few dishes at once, then freeze them for dinners later. I had some plums and apples in the freezer so did a quick crumble too as a treat.
    We love the NT. I am definately going to copy you and take a lovely cream tea or picnic this summer. No more snow here thank goodness, good luck with your weather and thank you so much for commenting. It's so nice to know I have readers.

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete