Translate

Thursday 9 May 2013

Back to basics

Dear reader,

Good morning to you all. 0500 here as working early today and after laying in bed for a while and worrying about the alarm I just got up.

We were clobbered by a £500 car bill this month, never good and it didn't help with my frugal mind set at all. I spent when I wouldn't usually have done. Hairdressers (not been since last July though) a picture for the house and bought a few more expensive food items.
On the other hand, I have worked solidly for the last 8 days,  I finished late and was back in early. I worked bank holiday and just couldn't do a major cook so treated us to a couple of steaks and prepared veg from the supermarket. I still stood and cooked the steaks and was still cheaper than ordering a take away.

On a good note, our gas direct debit has gone down and we are well in credit for the electricity. Will just wait for the next bill and will ask for a refund from them. Better in my account than theirs.

We have been scrimping now since 2011. Don't get me wrong, we don't live on gruel and we still eat well, have the odd bottle of wine, bar of chocolate and I do buy a few items of clothes when I need to. More for work than going out because we don't really go,out much.
We started a big saving plan to get a deposit for this house and we did that in a year. Then, when we moved in we had to do it up. I couldn't feel clean in the old bathroom with the yellowing carpet!
Now, we have to pay for it all!

We work all week and sometimes weekends and when we are off the Saturday and Sunday are so precious that we like to just go for walks, maybe visit a bootsale and cook a nice dinner.
The clubbing, pubbing days are over.

I must get back to the homemade, from scratch cooking. I bought three chickens yesterday for the price of 2. I roasted one and used the dark meat in a homemade curry, the rest I took off the bone and will use for salad lunch for me, salad and chicken sandwich for Big man. I am hoping there will be some left for tonight as well.

With love from Bucks

FIB. X

8 comments:

  1. I'm up early too.

    Sorry to hear about the car. i live in fear of that happening to me too. oter things I worry about are the boiler, the washing machine and a dodgy bathroom floor (possibly weakened by an undiagnosed leek)

    Cooking from scratch does save a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am trying to do all our cooking from scratch. Slow cooker is a life saver.
      X

      Delete
  2. It was such a shame about the car bill, just when you think you are getting on top of everything planning wise...bump... something happens and sometimes it takes a while to get back on the wagon. When you have such a busy working life you don't always feel like cooking, you just have to do what you have to do and then forget it and move on. It sounds like you are ready for a bit of "home & me" time, I hope now the better days are coming and lighter nights it will give you a bit of a boost.

    Take Care
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      We were a bit miffed but we aim to keep the cars for a while yet. Hoping for a bit of sunshine too.
      X

      Delete
  3. Hi Sarah, Some time back you were asking about free days out?
    So how about Taplow.
    From 1968 to 1988 my place of work was Taplow Court. I was made redundant in 1988 and Taplow Court was sold off. It has, over the years, been restored to its ‘former glory’ and is now open to the public, free of charge on certain Sundays during the summer. I always make a ‘pilgrimage’ back to the house and grounds where I spent twenty enjoyable years. (85 acres of grounds leading down to the River Thames.)
    Last year there was an Olymic Exhibition (BBC clip)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2uImzIubg4
    Which was very interesting - I’m not sure what is on this year?
    Taplow Court Open Days will take place from 2.30pm to 5.00pm on these dates
    Sunday 5th May
    Sunday 2nd June
    Sunday 7th July
    Sunday 4th August
    Sunday 15th September (National Heritage Day).
    Admission to the grounds and the house is FREE. Only guide and alerts dogs are permitted. (Sorry)
    On these days you may picnic in the 85 acres of ground. Guided tours of the house and cream teas will also be available on these days.
    As part of the open days there will be two exhibitions available to view.
    Cheers.....B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B,

      We will definately check this out, thanks so much for your recommendations.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    Another place where you might find frugal Bernard is here - http://www.amersham-tc.gov.uk/Core/Amersham-Town-Council/UserFiles/Files/music%20in%20the%20gardens%2026%20march%202013.pdf
    FREE band concerts and dogs are allowed (on a lead) :)
    Cheers....B xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that Heritage Day (sometime in September) is the best. Here's a wee video I made in 2011. :)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkRIg7gm77s
      Let me know if you want more ideas.

      Delete