Translate

Friday 31 May 2013

Tempted by nice food

Dear reader,

Have been away to Kent for a few days and forgot to take the pad with me. I have really missed reading your blogs so have been catching up.
Frugal living still continues here in Bucks. We are trying hard not to spend on anything we don't need. I don't seem to be that good with the food shopping. I always seem to spend about £60 instead of my intended £40.
I went to Lidl on Wednesday and found some cheese £3.79 a kilo, so bought two lots. Is that good? It's the cheapest I've seen for ages.

The gas and electricity are both in credit. Electricity by £160 and the gas by about £40.
I will be asking for a refund on the electricity as we may as well have the money than let it sit in their account.

I keep looking at holidays. I really miss going abroad especially when we have awful weather here in UK. They seem so expensive and I feel we should be paying off debts first.

I am subscribed to some of the discount shopping sites, Groupon, Wowcher and some others. I always have a look at the deals. Some are good but it always amazes me the amount of people buying them. I was tempted this morning as Groupon have a M&S card worth £10 for £5. So free £5 spend in Marks.
My inner self than had a conversation,
 Bad "Go on, that's good, you could get one of those meals for two, mmmm."
Good "No, you wouldn't normally go in there, it's frivolous"
Bad "But you do work hard, it would be a nice treat for you both."

And so it went on.......... I resisted.


Hope you have all been well.

FIB. X

3 comments:

  1. Well done resisting:-) I'm currently un- subscribing from all of these as they only offer discounts on the extravagant stuff that I wouldn't be buying anyway...when I really need to buy something (e.g need a new mattress soon) I'll search for specific offers then...otherwise I just seem to get a mass of emails that I need to read only to delete them... glad your "Good voice" is winning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, sometimes you just have to stop looking. I have unsubscribed from many companies because it is sometimes so difficult to resist temptation. Keep going with the shopping - if you are overspending because you buy more/bargains etc that is not a problem, just try to only buy what you need the next week. I know this is not always easy, but I went to Lidl around 20th May and got loads of bargains (but used up most of my food budget). By only buying what we absolutely need I managed to just get to the end of the month without 'borrowing' from this months' money. Off to the shops now though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on resisting temptation, if you read the contents list on the packaging you will find that at half price you are still paying through the nose. I am just back from Wales, I saved for the holiday last year and although we had a wonderful time I did take some meals with me, and cooked all but one day. When we go to see the son and family we have a meal in the Fish restaurant, it is not too expensive and is very good. We had a fantastic day at Folly Farm, once you pay to enter most things are free and they encourage people to take their own food by supplying lots of seating areas.

    ReplyDelete