Translate

Friday 17 May 2013

Can you be too frugal?

Dear reader,

I have been checking out money saving websites and frugal food ideas.
There are good, bad and downright ugly.

The one that most troubles me was the reusing of dental floss. Eeeuuuggghh. Yuk yukity yuk.
Not for me. That actually made me feel a little queasy. How about you dear reader, could you?
I'm assuming they use their own and it's not a family using one strand between them?
Is this frugalling too far?

I have been really good not spending anything at all this week. I had to visit the supermarket tonight and as I entered I was asked to help guide dogs for the blind. It was quite a strong ask and I felt a bit pressurised. I did my shopping and being in a really good  Friday feeling mood I scraped around in my purse for my small change, about £1.50 and went over to the man. Oh no, he said, "We don't take cash." They only want a signed direct debit sponsorship. The money went back in the purse and will go into my sealed pot instead. Oh well, I tried.

I copied one of you, I think Karen at CC and bought a lot of frozen veg this time including sliced frozen peppers and mushrooms. As we are at work every day I find it difficult to keep fresh stuff and don't really get a chance for a midweek shop except milk and bread.

Big man likes red wine, the cheaper and nastier the better. He would drink vinegar I think. I found some albeit low alcohol at 8% for £2.50. That's his treat.
I did faggots tonight that I took out of the freezer this morning. Heated up in an onion gravy and had with mash and green beans. They were frozen but were very good.

It's still cold here, the house was 14.5 when I got in so we put the log burner on tonight. Upstairs gets really warm so we only need to heat the lounge for the evenings.

Still driving slowly, it makes such a difference. I have a thing that tells you how many miles per gallon you are getting. A slight release of the foot and it does loads more. That's the extent of my car knowledge. Oh, I can do tyre pressure and check the oil with the dipstick, top up the water and obviously put in fuel. Can't change a tyre or anything else.

I had a frozen chicken carcass in the freezer but with all the veg there wasn't enough room. We put it on the back lawn for the Red Kites. They swoop right down and pick it up. Although a cheeky magpie got the last bit.

We are only showering in the week now and baths are reserved for weekends. Big man loves a bath and a read when he's in there. Hoping that the gas bill will go down a bit more. They started charging us £75 a month when we first moved in. We got a new combi boiler and have not had the heating on much except when it was freezing. I think we got down to 9 in our bedroom. It's become a bit of a challenge. They now want £44  a month so that's better.

I am interested what other people pay a month for gas. Could you let me know please so I can compare?

Here's to a great weekend, wherever you are.

FIB. X

9 comments:

  1. Yuk to the reusing of dental floss! I pay £33 per month for my gas, and before this winter had built up a large credit on the account. I don't have any other form of heating, so it's used for that and the hot water. There was only a shower here when we moved in, so no baths , but KL seems to spend forever in the shower and must use as much water as she would if we had a bath! My total fuel bill for gas and electricity comes to around £750 per year which is way below the national average, and very good to say that I am at home all day. I've started to buy more frozen veg, particularly leeks as I use a lot of them and the price of fresh ones is astronomical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very very good for your heating. Well done you. We have noticed how much we are used to it being cooler now. I'm really warm even when it's quite cold.
      I am using a lot more frozen now. I just find the fresh expensive and wasteful for me.
      Hope you are well.

      FIB. X

      Delete
  2. OMG I would rather do without floss than have to reuse it, there are limits as well as basic hygiene !

    I think this signing up for a dd every month is the way some of the charities are operating, I think its dreadful! I had the Red Cross a couple of weeks ago and he just would not take no for an answer, he also asked for a drink of milk and a biscuit!!

    It is me that buys frozen peppers and mushrooms :-) always handy and no waste. Frozen veg are a great standby especially when you work such long hours, plus it often means that you get a better variety when being frugal.

    Its freezing here tonight so the heating is on!!
    The warmest place is actually the conservatory, it was 33* this morning...lovely... We pay our gas monthly and its about £40 and thats putting us a little in credit, we don't have a log burner so thats for the heating and constant hot water. The electric is about the same and we cook electric, I do try not to use the drier but if needs must thats what its there for. We are not as frugal as some but we dont waste energy either and I can't abide being cold...must be my age lol.

    No Red Kites around here but we have a pair of Buzzards hovering around the bottom of the garden.

    Have a lovely weekend and have a nice rest xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought it was gross too!
      I don't want to sign up direct debits I want to give when and how much I choose. We get these collectors in our town. We call them chuggers, charity muggers, one day they wear a tabard for one charity, the next another. I think they get about £8 an hour.
      Yes it was you for the frozen peppers, I thought so. No waste and ready to go with no chopping either. I don't know why ours is £44, we don't use the heating, only hot water. Must be the tariff. We get loads of Kites, Pheasants and Partridge but no buzzards, wow would love to see them.
      Have a lovely weekend too.
      X

      Delete
  3. Yes, could not reuse dental floss - like reusing toilet paper!!!
    I have bought frozen peppers and mushrooms in the past and found them more convenient and the peppers definitely cheaper. Now I only have ice box in fridge cannot keep quantities of vegetables but still cram it full of meat portions. We have a local greengrocer who often has 'blemished' fruit and veg reduced - not long ago I managed to get a punnet of red 'pointy' peppers for 50p as the ends were starting to go soft. I sliced them and managed to cram them in the freezer. They often have mushrooms and the other day had a whole punnet of ginger, but I was not sure if that would freeze, or how to keep it for the longer term. We used to pay around £80 a month for our gas and electric I think (2 bedroom house), but have not been 'resident' for just over a year so don't know what would be an up to date figure. Have a great weekend everyone, hope the weather is better wherever you are than here in Norfolk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, reusing toilet paper made me laugh. I so use the freezer a lot and freeze all sorts, egg whites and yolks, cheese. I chop onions and garlic and freeze them to save me doing every time. It's my fridge that looks a bit bare as I tend to just get out whatever we are having that day. The rest of it is filled with eggs, marg, sauces etc.
      Weather here isn't great but it's not raining, yet...
      Have a great weekend too. We all deserve a good one.
      X

      Delete
  4. Yes you can be too frugal!! Haha :-) that's rally just ugh about the dental floss!
    You should learn how to change a wheel it's really easy and saves calling the AA or whoever out which can cost. Although I do a lot of driving (750 miles just Monday to Friday) so that's one of those things I splash out on as it were. If anything does happen I know I'm ok to get home!
    Sounds odd but I did a few menu plans using the WWII rations as a guide (not totally exact) and I reckoned I could feed my fiancĂ© and I for £25 a week. Good quality food and fresh things as well. Plus it would probably help me lose weight which is completely a bonus lol
    Hope you're doing ok.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo,
      Thanks for popping in. I know I really must get someone to teach me how to put the spare wheel on. Wow you do a lot of driving. I do 34 miles a day to and from work, nothing really. Where did you get the menu plans from? Ill have a look online and see if I can find them. We need to cut down of food shopping. Also need to drop about 2-3 stones!
      Have a lovely week. Xx

      Delete
  5. Hey FIB, been following your blog for a while now. Well done on giving up smoking and getting the heating down to £44 a month! We really struggle with our heating bills. It's not so bad now but earlier this year it was dire. We have a north facing house, large rooms, no cavity walls (single skin walls so no insulation) and a really old combi boiler. So our current gas & electricity bills are £142 a month as we have a backlog to pay off from the winter months. It's rubbish! I've been looking into the green deal to see if we could get external wall insulation and a new boiler but it's annoying to see that the interest terms are 7%! Doesn't really feel like a good deal at the moment. So the heating is off until we can pay this back. Anyway take care and keep up the great frugalling, Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete