Translate

Sunday 19 May 2013

Stretching the food.

Dear reader,

Instead of trying to do a £50 shop each week I have done a big £120 shop for the month allowing for top ups. The reason for this is that I work all week with no chance of shopping on those days, not properly anyway. We were running low and I was popping in for one or two items and finding myself spending £20 in the convenience store nearby. (Which I don't like ever since I bought some plastic ham and when I opened it it stunk)

Therefore I have bought all the meat we will have for the month, the veg (frozen) pasta, rice and hopefully I shall just need bread, milk, eggs and fruit.

I buy onions and potatoes by the sack in Lidl and they last for ages. I had about quarter of a sack of onions left and decided there would be nothing better on a Saturday afternoon then to peel them, dice them and freeze them to save time and effort later. Yes, what a wild life I lead.
I made loads and loads of packs of chopped onion which I keep in the freezer. I just grab it out frozen when I need it and chuck it in whatever I'm making. I seem to use onion in almost everything from omlettes, fagotts, pasta sauce, stir fry, curry, bolognaise and shepherds pie so it saves me loads of time and the onions don't go off. I put enough for one recipe in a sandwich bag, flatten it and freeze it flat to save space. 
Another food I change to make it stretch is cheese. I don't buy it grated but get the cheapest block of cheddar I can find. This takes a lot of checking the price per kg at the supermarket, usually getting down near the floor to see the tiny prices. I love the way they show you a special offer but when you check the price per kg it's much more expensive than the others!
Anyway the cheapest block was £5.41 per kg. I put it thought the food processor and got two tubs full. We use so much less this way than slicing it up.
I saw some of the items I get from Approved Food in the supermarket and I did laugh. I get lovely BBQ marinades and a smoked red chilli and honey blossom one for 13p each. I buy 50 at a time and we just stash them in the larder cupboard. They were 78p each. I also saw the Maggi so juicy bags and Maggi so crunchy toppings all for about a £1 each. I get 10 of these for that. 
It does take a lot of stashing and storing but it's great.

I was reading my Kath Kelly book, " How I lived a year on just a pound a day" which I get out for inspiration once in a while. There is an interesting chapter on food waste. In the British food chain, 17 million tonnes of waste is produced each year, a quarter still edible. Lettuce is top of the list, 61% of households throw one out each week.
She also mentions sell by dates. I think these are the biggest scam going. They prey on scaring people  into throwing away and re purchasing food. Best before, what's that all about?
I'll tell you, they are a bogus marketing strategy to keep us buying and wasting.

I've got friends that are obsessed with throwing out food that is NEAR, yes near the best before date.
If I am at their houses, I take it home with me. 

I am doing some cooking today for the week. A chicken curry made with a load of drumsticks that I will pad out with lentils, veg and hopefully get a few meals from that I can freeze and a meat sauce that I will add some porridge oats and vegetables to and this will go over pasta and maybe make a lasagne too. I will let you know how it goes later.

Have a peaceful Sunday.
Much love
FIB. X

17 comments:

  1. I have been buying pre-chopped and frozen onions of late. However, last week i discovered some slicing/grating blades for my food processor and when I run out of by bought onion will do the same as you.

    I have been a bit worried that the onion would not freeze well[thought the commercial stuff would be better because they fast freeze it], but it sounds like it is alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Green flag,

      The onion is fine for cooking with. I use so much in my recipes it's just easier. I just chuck it in frozen with a bit of oil and away we go.
      Good luck

      FIB. X

      Delete
  2. Very handy to have friends that are too fussy! 'Best before' is the biggest rip off thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are great fuss pots. Ha ha ha.
      I'd love to be self sufficient and I could cut out the supermarkets!
      Ooh I've come over all Tom and Barbara.

      FIB. X

      Delete
  3. You sound very organised!

    I know what you mean about sell by & use by dates. I think people are scared to use common sense and would prefer to trust the dates on labels instead, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara,

      I'm not organised really, I just try to have a go here and there to save a bit of time. I read your blog and YOU sound really organised. I think it's all a big scam.
      Have a nice week.

      Xx

      Delete
  4. I have just used some fat chillies I grew and froze whole last year and they were perfect also some courgettes (not blanched). I think as long as you intend to cook with it, there isn't a problem, you couldn't use them in a salad because they go a bit mushy when defrosted.

    Grated cheese is a good standby, I also buy Aldi/Lidl parmesan and grate that into a tub and freeze, its much better than those plastic pots of ready grated, you don't know what they are adding to that!

    I managed to get some of those Maggie so juicy for 5p from our mill shop, great value when you consider how much a roasting bag would cost!

    Now I know we can eat really well on £50 per week I'm thinking about drawing out £200 per month so I can take better advantage of bulk buying, especially with meat purchases.

    Hope it goes well for you this month xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen,
    You always do really well with your shopping and you list it exactly on the side of your blog. I get off to a good start then lose track along the way. I love the Maggi bags, no mess either.
    Have a great week, will try to be as good as you.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If its on my blog it keeps me in check lol. I came really close the the mark this week, it just goes to show if you change things you can soon loose the plot. I ran out of mushrooms and hubby was going to nip me to asda for some but I didn't and we managed without and the dish was still nice and tasty. They are top of the list for next week along with a bag of peppers and some more peas.

      Sometimes sell by dates are a joke, but my sister would rather throw something away when its NEAR its date than use it up, she isn't like me at all. Nothing gets wasted here. X

      Delete
    2. I thought the same about posting my weight loss
      Ha, hasn't worked yet. Will be trying again this week. Nothing wasted here either, I just freeze anything left over, not that there's usually much. Good tips you have given below, I will try the herb freezing except my freezer is crammed full of onions!
      Have a lovely week.

      FIB. X

      Delete
  6. I bet it feels great to have a good selection of food again, properly planned and cooked meals when you want. Well done for stretching what you had in the freezer. I really miss having a freezer, but actually I can be just as frugal by having less storage space - have to keep things more simple. I HAVE to take our my food budget for the month, I really cannot manage with a weekly amount, especially now the nearest shops are nearly 4 miles away, and the nearest supermarket over 12. I have also finally managed to plant some salad leaf seeds, and have bought a lovely sage plant to add to my (very small) herb collection in the yard. Can I ask, does anyone freeze herbs apart from parsley?? I sometimes see bunches of cut herbs in the supermarket but am not sure how to keep them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we are in the caravan we have some great simple meals, it sometimes makes me think why I do more complicated at home. How do you manage to store bulk buys after visits to the supermarket. I use a big cool box under the caravan and just keep changing the ice packs. I have even set jellies in tupperware containers under the wheel where its cold lol. If you have a microwave you can dry your herbs a few at a time on kitchen roll then crumble and store in an air tight jar. My MIL would freeze mint in ice cubes, but I have never frozen anything other than garlic and ginger root.

      Delete
    2. Hi Alison, I've been using some herbs from last year frozen in oil. Tougher herbs are more suited to this. I have tried sage and oregano. Thymes would also work well. Coriander, parsley and basil I've frozen in water

      Delete
    3. Hi Karen, thanks for the advice about drying herbs - I did see a blog post when I investigated further last night (may even have been yours!!) I had the opportunity for a huge box of ginger root, but was not sure if it would freeze - but next time will just bite the bullet and buy it. I rarely bulk buy apart from boxes of cereal which we need more than one a week. They sit in the front cab as we do not go anywhere whilst we are working!! Also a few bottles of fizzy water - oh yes and bottles of wine!!

      Thanks for your comments too Emma; I am still waiting for my coriander plant to recover and for the weather to warm up before investing in basil.

      Delete
  7. Great post!

    Kath Kelly's book is a great inspiration to me too. Gets me a bit nostalgic about comparative 2007 cheapness, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered when it was at those prices too. No dumpster diving in your quest for fruit and veg this week. Looks lovely though, have a good time.

      FIB. X

      Delete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog, had a read through and now am following yours! Congrats on paying off the overdraft. And with regard to your previous post, yes, some people can be too frugal (yucko on the re-used dental floss). I will have to have a lookout for that book! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete