Translate

Thursday 16 May 2013

Digging deep for frugal dinners

Dear reader,

Wow we are really digging into the back of the cupboards, fridge and freezer at the moment.
We are down to our last £35 until we get paid next week and I am serving up some inventive meals.

Last night we had chicken curry that I had made in the slow cooker, just thighs, onion, garlic, spices and tinned tomatoes.
Big man had the rest of it today for lunch and I had the last of the sausage casserole minus the sausages (I called it vegetable chilli) with one of the many cous cous packets I have from Approved Food.

Tonight I did grilled chicken in the George Foreman with Hickory BBQ sauce, also AF with the last of an old bit of blue cheese I had frozen. We had this with baked beans and sweet potato chips, roasted in the oven with a knob of butter as we are out of oil. A bit of a mish mash but tasty and filling.

We have no bread but we have naans. We have potatoes, tins of beans, spaghetti hoops, tomatoes and mushy peas.
There are some frozen chicken portions, legs and thighs and a couple more breasts.
We have eggs and milk. There are some lasagne sheets, pasta n sauce packets, rice and porridge.
Oh, I have just found a whole frozen chicken as well.

That's quite a lot now I have written it out. The only thing we don't have much of is vegetables.
I'm thinking roast chicken, potatoes, mushy peas and yorkies. I could do chicken lasagne as well and maybe a chicken and rice dish. Lots of chicken.......

I will have to do a small shop over the weekend for just a few staples.
What's on your meal plan this weekend?

There is a breakfast promotion on Graze which is worth checking out. I believe you get two free boxes when you first sign up and you can just cancel afterwards. Worth a look.

A special hello to Compostwoman, in case you didnt get my comment I hope you are feeling ok and I think you are a very kind lady.

Much love
FIB. X

3 comments:

  1. You do seem to have everything under control and I'm sure you won't get rickets through missing veggies for a week lol. You will feel great next week when you get paid and nothing has to go to your overdraft. Its amazing especially with the car going wrong at the beginning of the month, it just proves having a bit put by for the car is worth while.

    We shopped differently today and it blew my budget by about £3 :-( I did have £11 leftover from last week though so not too bad. AT least the fridge is looking more healthy, it was very empty this morning!

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you FIB :-) The other Ginger Gang girls are still a bit lost without Yarrow and so am I as well. I did get your lovely comment and it is up on the blog - I answered it as well (I try to reply to bloggy friends who comment, but sometimes I miss people by accident)

    You sound very inventive with what you have - have you tried any of those recipie websites where you can put in what ingredients you have to hand?

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big user of Love Food Hate Waste it comes up with some great ideas :)

      Delete