Translate

Wednesday 1 May 2013

We will survive.

Dear reader,

Just a quickie as worked late. Was doing so well money wise until yesterday when I was driving Big Mans car and heard a grinding sound when I braked. There were a few squeaks as well.

Today was relieved of £497 at the garage. New discs and pads, the bracket for the thingy that hold the exhaust on had snapped and the something else was resting on the axel!

Not happy bunnies here but these things have to be done and luckily the two cars we have don't cause many problems. We have to have 2 cars to get to work.
There goes the car fund money we were saving for tax and insurance and the good intentions for the overdraft!

On a good note, we are doing well with the shopping. I had some diced pork in the freezer and decided to do something new and adventurous with it. I fancied something spicy yet not too hot, a bit smokey and a bit BBQ ish. Here's what I did.

Sliced one onion and put into the slow cooker along with,
One clove of garlic
I ground one dried clove with some chilli flakes and pepper.
Tossed the pork cubes in flour and added the above ground stuff
Half a small cup of red lentils
A packet of Hickory BBQ sauce (any BBQ sauce will do)
A squirt of Tom ketchup
A tin of chopped tomatoes (I just swipe a knife around in the tin if not pre chopped)
A cup of water
Turned on low all day and ready when I got home.

Absolutely delicious. Served with mash and bread for mopping.

We had the fish in a light batter yesterday. I slow cooked a tiny gammon and we had with salad in pittas for lunch today and tomorrow. I have another gammon left in the freezer, a bit of left over beef stew, a few chicken portions, about 10 faggots, some frozen veg and a small bit of Thai curry sauce.
I have lentils, rice, pasta, a few tins of tomatoes, sweetcorn and mushy peas. Half a sack of spuds.
2 pints of milk, a few onions and a lot of hope. We will survive.

11 comments:

  1. I'm sure you are far too young to remember the post-war days of struggling to make ends meet - but our Mother's did.
    I was in Morrison's (HW) the other day and I was surprised to see they were selling Tripe. Now that would go well with your "2 pints of milk, a few onions and a lot of hope." :)
    Seriously - offal is very cheap and very tasty if you don't mind it. I not only bought the tripe from Morrisons but also Ox heart. Some years ago I bought a pack of this for the cats. Being cheap you see, but I tried them with a slice and I got a flick of the tail and a turned up nose! I ended up cooking it for myself in the SloCooker.
    It was fantastic, but needed long slow cooking.
    If you enjoy faggots I assume you don't mind liver and kidneys either - always cheap and tasty. Must go - I'm getting hungry!
    Cheers....B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B,

      Lovely to hear from you as usual! I did laugh and could actually picture the flick of the tail and the turned up nose. My mother has 4 dogs, one is a teacup Chihuahua. Sometimes if my mum dares to offer her the "cheap" ham she looks at you like you are trying to poison her. We both like offal, liver and bacon with gravy and mash is a favourite. I like kidneys too, have never tried tripe. Does it smell? I may give it a go.

      Hope you are well,

      S. x

      Delete
    2. No, tripe doesn't smell, mind you, it doesn't taste of much either as it has been boiled for eight hours before being sold. This is why it needs a nice thick tasty sauce with it. I was watching 'Ade in Britain' (ITV) a couple of weeks ago and he was eating it cold in the Butcher's shop! I think with just a bit of salt & vinegar.
      Not something I've ever tried!
      Cheers....B

      Delete
    3. Not sure if I'm brave enough for that......

      Delete
  2. These big things always swoop down and surprise us when we least expect it..... but £497 ... ouch!!

    Yes you most definitely WILL survive :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sue, it's bloody typical isn't it. Never mind, we are healthy and you can't pay for that. We both have jobs and a nice home.
      Thanks for dropping in.

      X

      Delete
  3. Oh no!! just when you think things are getting under control something happens to bite you on the bum!! Cars are so unpredictable and expensive when they go wrong :-(

    You are still doing great with making do, its amazing just how inventive you can be when the chips are down... oops did I mention chips.... there you go egg and chips, made with spuds or butternut squash, parsnips, sweet potato if you are feeling extravagant you could have baked beans with it too.

    Hope the sun is shining for you today, at least thats free!
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      Have wedges tonight and we like eggs so will get some in. I'm pleased we had both started car accounts albeit both empty now!

      Ah well....
      The weather is wonderful here today.
      X

      Delete
  4. AlisonB43 has left a new comment on your post "We will survive.":

    Hi, on the subject of offal - I managed to buy some 'sliced beef heart' at Mr T a couple of weeks ago. I was slightly dubious, but it was so cheap - just over a pound (I knew I used to eat lamb hearts when I was a child) Like Bernard we casseroled it in the slow cooker, and honestly you would not know it was not stewing beef!! Trouble is that is not easy to get hold of. I have not seen it since - but well worth remembering. Real bum deal about the car, but at least you know you are both safe and it will last a few years. Just don't lose focus on the longer term plans. X

    Publish
    Delete
    Mark as spam

    Moderate comments for this blog.

    Posted by AlisonB43 to Frugal in Bucks at 2 May 2013 09:37

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fat fingers deleted Alison comment by mistake so have added it here.

      Thanks Alison. We have paid for the car and its done with, you are right, it will last a few years we hope. Will keep my eyes open for the heart you mention, I love my slow cooker.
      X

      Delete
  5. having just spent a small fortune making my car road worthy again i can really sympathize with the expense of car repairs. I am sure you will be fine food wise you have proven yourself to be very very resourceful! Look at how well you have done clearing your overdraft. posts like yours make me really want to crank on and bust those bills x

    ReplyDelete