Translate

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Batch cooking to save time and money

Dear reader,
You may have read of a September challenge that both Karen at Chelmarsh Chunterings and SFT are doing. You do 3 weeks worth of shopping and save the fourth weeks money. Stretch it September I believe.
I had the last 2 days off as I worked the weekend and got up with big man this morning at 4am as he was in work very early.
I had been googling for new ideas for packed lunches. The trouble with us is we take a sandwich then eat it about 11am then by 2 or 3 we are hungry again which then costs us money.
We work very long hours, sometimes 13 and 18 is not unheard of. We have to eat on the go and a sandwich, crisps and a drink for the 2 of us from a petrol station is a lot of pennies. Er, about 1200 pennies actually.
I am determined to provide more for,our lunches and got cracking in the kitchen first thing.
First I did my usual of peeling a load of onions and freezing them in my muffin tray for easy cooking another time. This is a huge time saver for me and the little cakes are just right for throwing into a stir fry, a curry a stew.

Then I made pastry. I only started making my own last week and follow the food processor method, so quick. Flour, butter, water. I leave the salt out.
I made spinach and feta pasties to take to work. I fried some onion then wilted a big bag of spinach and crumbled feta (Lidl own). My lovely mum bought me some pastie making cutters and crimper a. Brilliant!
  














Then I did a chilli using Quorn mince, onion, chilli sauce, tinned tomatoes and a tin of beans. Hot hot
We will take this to work so I froze two portions and then one larger for a home dinner.
Shepherds pie or is it cottage pie I think with beef?
Peeled and boiled potatoes, fried the mince with onion, stock cube and added some frozen veg to bulk it out a bit. Topped with the mash and cooked. Again, half for work lunch half for home dinner which we will have tomorrow.
I grated a huge block of cheese as I had the food processor out. I always do this as its handy and we use less.
I was really going for it and made cheese scones. Never done this before and very easy. Didn't make them thick enough so a bit flat but boy did they taste good with a scraping of butter while still warm.
I pottered into the garden for a break and noticed a load of ripe tomatoes. I fancied making some sort of chutney/relish after reading Frugal Queen last week. 
I found this recipe which is for a spicy one.
It 



5 comments:

  1. Like your idea of doing "cakes" of onion for the freezer. better than a huge lump or lots of lttle pots all over the place. I'll definitely be doing mine this way in future
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi F.I.B

    What an amazing post! I think that being organised is the key and you are doing so well to organise your food during busy times.

    Good luck for Stretch it out September. I'm really looking forward to it and will post my meal plan on Saturday.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey I don't know how you do it after working all those hours! Everything looks so tasty, those little pasties are right up my street, chilli is my hubby's favourite and cottage pie is lovely comfort food..... which night do you want us lol Great way to save time doing those onions, nearly every savoury dish starts with a chopped onion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the picture I thought they were cakes like snowballs !! Good idea to make little portions of the onions xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the tip about the onions! Could save a lot of time and good way to freeze them. X

    ReplyDelete