Translate

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Old bag inspires me to bake

Dear reader,

Long day just got home as a lorry had turned over on the M40 and dropped a load of household rubbish. 7 hours it was closed for.

Anyway, just got in at 9pm and while having a cup of tea had a quick read of blogs. Clicked onto Frugal Queen as I do every day. She had a couple of lovely looking quiches and some homemade bread.

I had felt hungry at work and at lunchtime had gone to the canteen and asked for the vegetable curry. The woman serving looked at me with such disdain that I to.d her not to bother. They are always like that in my works canteen but I decided there and then that I would never use the canteen again.

Back to Froogs quiches, I have never made my own pastry but had all the ingredients and fuelled by my having the severe hump with the canteen woman I set to using my food processor.
It made a good lump of pastry which I left in the fridge for about 15 minutes. It said half an hour but couldn't wait that long.

I made two while cooking kofta kebabs and boiling some potatoes. I blind baked them for 5 mins first. I don't have baking beans or marbles and to be honest after being out for 12 hours I couldn't be bothered. I pricked the bases and they were fine. I beat some eggs, topped up with a splash of milk and topped them with some dried tomatoes I had done in the oven, sliced mushrooms I bought reduced and grated cheese.
I kind of draped the pastry over the edges and you can see I have hacked it off with a knife afterwards.

So thanks rude canteen lady, you inspired me to make my own pastry, you have saved me money, the crumpled fiver that I didn't really want to spend can go in my sealed pot and I won't be returning to your bland old slop again. (We only eat it when we are desparate) and one last thing, you need to seriously think about facial waxing!

 With that lovely thought, here are my quiches.


Goodnight. X

12 comments:

  1. Looks good to me, and much tastier than canteen food served by rude people. Glad I read your post right through, at first I thought froogs was the old bag lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol well done! The quiches look really good xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very amusing post. You can now go to work with a nice slice of quiche.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny ...... Well done you ! I wouldn't part with my money either in the same situation. Quiches look good. Useful for transforming all manner of left overs. Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facial waxing!!! Haha! My pastry is so pants she could probably use that to wax with- funny post xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on your quiches, brilliant for putting allsorts of bits in at different times of the year.
    facial waxing- poor woman- feel sorry for her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hear hear! Who wants to see female moustaches when they're sitting down to eat!! Lovely quiches : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is not fair - I was really drooling at FQ's quiches, now I feel even more hungry!! Well done you on making them - no excuses for the future now. I make pastry for quiches, even in the motorhome (was finding it difficult to distinguish differences in Europe!) Really cheap and easy dinner. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant post!! I needed a good laugh...thanks x

    Tasty looking quiches, you can't beat a nice bit of homemade savoury tart. Next time we have one it will remind me of this post and make me smile.

    Enjoy the rest of your week
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always drape the pastry over the tin when I make quiche, then cut it off with knife once cooked, those crispy bits of pastry scoop up dips a treat,Ben likes them as a treat as well. I make my qhiches in a swiss roll tin easier to cut up.

    ReplyDelete