Translate

Saturday 31 August 2013

What's in my fridge and freezer will have to last us.

Dear reader,

Decided to have a lazy weekend. I will be working 12 hours a day next week-60 hours in total so am giving myself a lie in this morning. (It's 8am.) I have made tea and put a load of washing on.
The sun is shining and I have gone back to bed to relax and catch up with some reading.
There's a gentle breeze coming through the window and big man is gently snoring beside me.

I will have to plan ahead with some easy dinners for next week. I have got the following in the fridge and freezer.

One whole chicken (free range from Lidl)
Chicken thighs and drumsticks
3 packs of bacon
4 pork steaks (frozen)
Cooked steak and kidney (frozen)
2 portions of cottage pie (frozen)
2 portions of chilli made with Quorn (frozen)
4 portions of faggotts (frozen)
2 veggie sausages (frozen)
Bag of Quorn mince (frozen)
4 frozen spinach and feta pasties.

8 pints of milk
12 eggs
Block of feta cheese
Pack of cheese triangles


Fresh spinach
Pack of carrots
Potatoes
Pears
Peaches
Apples
Frozen mixed veg (nice stuff not the diced stuff) ( am still a bit worried what people think about frozen veg-snob!)
Frozen summer fruits(1/4 pack left)
Frozen oven chips (I know but good for emergency)

2 loaves w/m bread
Pasta
Rice (lots) the cheapest way to buy this is not, as you would think in a large sack but at 40p a bag at Lidl. Nothing fancy, just plain, white rice.

Lots of sauces, pesto, curry pastes, BBQ Maggi bags, Maggi breadcrumbs for chicken,
Stir fry sauces, loads of curry powders and spices and various tins. Mostly tomatoes and baked beans, sweetcorn, new potatoes and carrots for emergencies, tins of sardines (big mans) 2 part baked baguettes.
10 bags of fruit and nuts (big mans)

Will be thinking, planning and plotting how to make the best use of all this. This has to feed us both for 7 breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Big man has a lot and I am no stranger to the larger portion.
Big man does bodybuilding so on a normal day he will have
Porridge ( a huge bowl with golden syrup or some fruit-made with milk)
Cooked chicken with rice and vegetables, sardine salad, sandwiches, fruit. ( this is lunch)
Dinner-cottage pie and veg, fruit and nuts, fruit.

I have something like
Cereal or toast
Sandwich and a salad (probably crisps, sometimes a choc bar or biscuits at work-I know, I know)
Same dinner as big man

It helps me when I write it down like this as I can see what I have.
I will complete a meal plan later today.

I watched Nigel Slater last night. I do like him. Some very nice cooking does Nigel and I like the kitchen he uses too.
Have you seen the film about him, Toast? Very good, a little sad in places but all about his childhood and how he started cooking and why. If you don't like Nigel, I think you will after watching this.

Much love. X



3 comments:

  1. 60 hours wow! Least you have a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you will have any problem coming up with a delicious menu plan with that little lot. When you look in the cupboards it doesn't look much but when you write it down you can see there is actually a lot of food and it turns into plenty of lovely meals without having to shop. Don't worry about bing a frozen veg snob....I will only have birds eye petit pois...anything else are like bullets!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi F.I.B,

    So sorry you are working such long weeks at the mo. You deserve a lovely lie in and i'm glad the big man is a gentle snorer!

    I agree with Karen you have lots of great food and will easily come up with some meals for the next week.

    I used to be a frozen food snob, but I've actually grown to like frozen brocolli/cauliflower and peas.

    I like Nigel, wish I had the money for his lovely ingredients. We did follow a smoked mackerel recipe of his once, oh my word it was luxurious! And about £6 for the lunch but we liked it. I have seen his film Toast, very good. And I have the book somewhere. Must read it.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete