Translate

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Getting desparate.

Dear reader,

Home by 1745 tonight, hooray! I did leave the house at 0630 and as I left work I was really tired.

Sod it, I thought, I am getting a takeaway for us both. I toyed with fish and chips or Chinese. Both readily available up the road from us.
Do you know, I just couldn't do it. I knew it would be £20 at least, especially if we had Chinese. All those tempting starters, prawn toast, seaweed, satay chicken, probably £30. By the time I had pottered around the small, convenient yet expensive supermarket next door, the evening would have been the wrong side of £40.

I knew we had the butternut squash curry in the freezer and I so want to clear our debts I decided to, as Elaine from mortgage free in three would say, "Put my big girls knickers on"  and knuckle down.

I got the curry out of the freezer, put some rice on with mixed veg in it. I used the oven to capacity for two cauliflower cheese bakes that were lurking and the rest of the sausages from the reduced 12 pack I bought the other day.
I have no onion, no garlic and just some dried spices for the rice. I wanted more flavour so put two packs of honey blossom and chilli marinade in it. I bring it to the boil and then turn it off immediately  to let it cook in its own steam.

Big man will have three chicken thighs that I had been defrosting wil some of the rice and sausage sarnies tommorow. Not great health wise but needs must.

All that's left in the fridge now is some cheese, two peppers and the usual pickles.
The fridge holds two portions of frozen veg chilli, 5 frozen parsnips, mixed veg and some ice cubes.

I have two baguettes in the larder, tins of beans and tomatoes, rice and some tiny pasta.

Tommorow will be stuffed peppers with cheese on top and well hope for the best for the rest of the week.

How's your Stretch it out September?

X


9 comments:

  1. Well done of resisting the temptation, i'm not very good at that but given i have no money right now i'm going to have to. I do however have loads of food in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are down to hardly anything now. It's getting quite a challenge to make a meal now. It really makes you appreciate what you have got though. It will be great to use up all the packets in my larder though, it's stuffed full of approved food stuff. X

      Delete
  2. Well Done you, be very proud of yourself x Its amazing what can be rustled up. Have you anything in the garden that can be dug up? Can you turn the baguettes into pizza's with the tinned tomatoes cheese and a few herbs. Sometimes when we were desperate I made baked bean pasties by adding some carrots and a bit of crumbled oxo into a tin of beans very filling and not too unhealthy. Try chucking loads of packet stuff into a pan for some kind of soup lol. If all else fails have an early night and a cuddle xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      Hadn't thought of baguette pizzas. Thank you, will do that tommorow instead. There is a mozzarella in the fridge too so can use that with some olives and maybe slice a sausage. Super, another dinner sorted, thanks Karen!

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I know how hard this can be when all you want to do is eat something quick and easy after a long day. I struggle with this more than I should :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. I struggle with this more than I should, especially after a long day at work. It would just be so easy to turn the car into the grocery lot :) And very costly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always quite ejoyed making meals out of very little - it's more of a challenge ad usually moreinteresting! Love hearing your ideas though x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cut the peppers in half long ways, cook some of the pasta ans mix into the veg chili, pile that into the peppers and bake. defrost parsnips cube and toss in some seasoned oil and bake along side. Dinner is served. If you have AF dumpling mix it makes pastry and you can mix veg and cubed cheese into a tin of baked beans, liven it up with a spicy mix and use as a pie filling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on resisting such temptation! Not sure i would have been so good!

    Have a great restful weekend.
    Rw

    ReplyDelete