Translate

Sunday 29 September 2013

National Trust- great days out.

Dear reader,

Thank you so much for your supportive comments yesterday. It really makes a difference when someone takes the time to comment.
I know I have been guilty of reading and not commenting much. Sometimes the little numbers and letter you have to put do my head in and I give up. I will try harder.

The postman brought our new National Trust membership cards with a yearly cost of £92 for a couple.
In true frugal style we set off to make the most of them in this great weather.Click here for National Trust
Yesterday we drove out to Nuffield Place the home of William Morris the founder of Morris cars. He was aid to be one of the richest men in the world. He gave a lot of money to good causes and lived in a very modest way with his wife lady Nuffield.  A lovely home, still as they left it. Lady Nuffield
resided in til 2001.
We also went to Greys Court near Henley on Thames. A 16th century mansion with a wonderful tower in the grounds from the 12th century and a Tudor donkey wheel. That was a bit like a huge hamster wheel, I did feel sorry for the poor donkey.
Today we had a look around Hughenden Manor where Benjamin Disraeli lived. Wonderful house and grounds with fascinating war history and display in the cellars.
I thoroughly recommend the National Trust membership. It gets you into loads of wonderful places and free parking even if you just go for a coffee and as my mum and I always say, "There's no idiots there either." You know the type!

I did get hungry at Greys Court and we spent £13.80 on tea, a prawn sandwich, a flapjack and a bake well slice. Not very frugal but it's nice to support the trust. That's my excuse ha!

October Stoptober soon. I am really trying to get my friend to stop smoking. Best thing I ever did last March.
 I have joined the October awakening challenge over at money saving expert. There's a list of rules, no spend days, take packed lunch, set food budget that sort of thing.
Am looking forward to it.
I did the stretch it out September and made some meals out of nothing or leftovers. I batch cooked a few meals and we only shopped every 10 days rather than once a week so it went quite well.
I still seem to spend much more on food than everyone else. I reckon we spend about £300 per month
Anyway, here are some photos of the lovely place we visited.


1 comment:

  1. It must be good to live in the middle of the country so you can get to lots of NT places. The trouble with being over here on the edge we have very few to visit without a long journey which we can no longer afford. Well done on your declining debt. I try to keep all our food spending well below £200 a month and we manage some nice extras things too. Of course we have the benefit of free veg and eggs.

    ReplyDelete