Translate

Sunday 15 September 2013

Our big fat debt.

Dear reader,

Firstly and most importantly a huge welcome to two new followers. I have a problem seeing who is new as my followers list doesn't seem to be in order but I know one is Judy Y from Australia because she told me.

Yesterday I told you about my new challenge PADing. It has become addictive! I love it!
It's the Payment A Day challenge from MSE. Brilliant.

Many of you also do some challenges with not buying any C**p for Christmas being a popular one and also the brilliant sealed pot challenge from our own SFT which you can read about here
SFT sealed pot challenge

We are getting quite excited about the amount we have put in the tin. I say we as Big Man has participated too. He likes saving money too and he is in charge of meter readings, compost bin, outdoor work (lawn mowing, bins or anything smelly or heavy!)

I have been really brave today and added a new progress bar (see the very scary number above right)
I have been writing this blog for a while now but have never really told you how much money we owe. While it is big, I can tell you it's not there by us being frivolous. We both have old cars, we don't go out, we don't buy new clothes, we don't go mad at all.
We have however spent this money on doing up home. Dragging it screaming and kicking from 1968 (we know that the last time it was decorated as we found the newspaper wall lining) into 2013.
We scraped the 4 layers of wallpaper off the walls ourselves and Big man did all the painting and decorating, skirting boards and all the other thing he could do himself.

We couldn't do the electrics, the new boiler, the new windows, the floor, the bathroom, the driveway, the wood burner or the plastering and this cost us over £30,800. Aaaaaggggghhhhh.

We are down to £27,196 from March which is not much but we have also bought a new car, £4,500(yes the one that has just cost me £1400) and a wardrobe £800.

Some of the money we owe is attracting interest so obviously we are attacking that first. The rest is on interest free credit card which will have to be paid off by the end of the term.

So, that us. That's what we owe and we both want rid ASAP. I will update the bar every time we pay off more money. Usually monthly as that's when we get paid.

On another depressing note. The garage rang last Thursday. The cars ready and all done. I paid, they drove it back to my house for me as I was at work.
Saturday morning, to the shops.........it won't start! Not happy. Garage closed until Monday morning when we will be having a discussion.

The sun is shining here in Bucks. Still no heating in here. Rushing out now to hang some washing on the rather damp still line.

Much love. X

21 comments:

  1. Washing out here too. Clouds are coming but still high at the moment! Hopefully, they will get an hour or so before we have to rush out and bring them in. After that, they will be on an airer in the conservatory - not particularly warm but dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Car woes are always the most expensive and inconvenient. Hope they get you sorted out ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! thats an awful lot of money...ouch! Now you have faced up to it and blogged about it you are on your way to debt freedom :-) If Frugal Queen can do it then so can you, I believe in you xx

    Its such a horrible day here in Yorkshire and we have had the heating on!! I hope tomorrow is better as my washing basket is full :-(

    Cars...grrrr... a very expensive necessity!!

    Take care. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, you always take the time to send me a really nice comment. Thank you.

      I do read FQ's story on her blog about the 45k debt they paid off in 2 years I think. Wow that is good. I have resigned myself to the fact that we won't be holidaying until its paid off. How I miss my abroad hols!

      I put the washing out, a bit sunny, a bit windy-perfect. As soon as I wen it heavens opened and still raining now.

      The car saga continues. I can see why people get themselves into debt by buying a new car. Hopefully it will last me a couple more years after all this work.

      Thank you for saying you believe in me. Sometimes I don't! It's a real boost when someone says that and makes me more determined to pay it all off.

      X

      Delete
    2. I know how hard it is to pay off a debt, my son gave up his job in banking and had a failed buisness venture and racked up £14k, in the end he took a local job minimum wage, washing caravans and for the first year never spent a penny of that wage everything went off the debt. My daughter in law took on lots of cleaning work and they lived very frugally and within 18 months they paid back every penny including a loan from us. My son is now in charge of the Service department and back in a suit and tie earning proper money. I'm so proud of them both.

      If you and Big Man work together tackling your debt it will soon be paid off. The things you have spent the money on are a long term investment and at least you have a lovely home to show for it. Dont worry about the holidays, just think how many nice ones you can have once you are debt free. Its much nicer lying on a sunny beach knowing you are debt free. Just think, you are more likely to be debt free than I am of ever becoming a size 12 again LOL. Have a great week xxx

      Delete
  4. Debt to fix up your home can be like a money pit but - have you calculated how much your net worth has increased based on fixing it up? You might be surprised. About ten years ago we did a massive renovation $100,000 to a home that hubby had bought as a fixer upper after he was divorced. Purchase price of property $148,000. Cost of renovation $100,000. Five years later we sold the property for $384,000. Part of that was because the property market took off and part was due to renovations. It sure helped our net work increase! Plus this kind of debt makes your standard of living better every day - by living in what you have made better. Don't let it get you down and keep chipping away at it. I hope the car situation gets sorted soon, very frustrating for you. Cars always seem to die when the mechanic is closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent suggestion CC. We had the estate agent round and he was shocked at how much work we had done. I forgot about how much the house has gone up. I think we have spent £30k and it's gone up £50-60k. So I guess it's an investment really?

      Ha ha you have cheered me up!

      Thanks. X

      Delete
  5. I'm sure you can get rid of that debt and we are all here behind you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. Now I have published the amount in my progress bar I hope it will make me more determined. I'm sure it will and thank you so much for your words of support.
      Much appreciated. X

      Delete
  6. Well done, you are making great progress in so many ways. I traded down my car last year because of increasing maintenance costs and although I wasn't happy at the time, it was the right thing to do. Fingers crossed you'll have stress free motoring from now on.
    I'm back focusing on food budgeting and no spend days. Love your pad idea too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma,

      How are you? Hope to get the car sorted this week. Am starting new October challenge soon from mse. Will keep you updated
      Nice to hear from you. X

      Delete
    2. Such a year of huge change. Paid off my mortgage earlier march, changed job then made redundant by June. Thank god for my remaining savings. After lots of soul searching, started uni course today. Oldest in the class by a mile at 46!

      Delete
  7. You will be thrilled to see your debt coming down FB.

    I started on MSE. It changed my life in many ways.

    You can do it.

    Please make a shopping list and don't go when you are hungry. Food is one of the variables where you can save money.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SFT. I always value your advice. Yes I agree with the food. Must make a better list for next time. We had to eat our stretch it food last week although I have got a chilli left. That's one dinner done.

      What other ways did you save? Any tips most welcome.
      I am in need of a holiday.

      X

      Delete
  8. I need to do a home renovation too to keep the place looking in saleable condition. It is comfortable but comfortable is not what people are looking to buy here. I also want to enjoy it awhile before I likely end up moving. I'm hedging a bit on the renos because of the increase to debt so I fully understand you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyful,

      Houses can be money pits can't they? And hard work too.

      Just gotta pay it back now.

      X

      Delete
  9. Hi FIB

    Thank you for your kind welcome :)

    I think that facing the debt is the hardest part and you are heading in the right direction if it's going down! All the best with getting it gone and we'll all be here cheering you on as you celebrate each milestone! It's hard work without things like holidays to look forward to, can you manage a few weekends away while you are paying down your debt?

    Cars (and their repair/maintenance costs) are a necessary evil unfortunately it seems, hope it gets sorted out once and for all!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy,

      It's so nice to have new followers.
      A weekend would be nice but even that would probably be £150. I so want the little progress bar to move now especially since I have advertised it on here.
      I'm sick of the car, I will be dropping the keys back to the garage this morning before work so they can look at it today.
      X

      Delete
  10. That is a lot of money, but at least you have something to show for it, and it hasn't been racked up buying takeaways,meals out and clothes which languish at the back of a wardrobe. You have a lovely home and can look around at that when you're feeling down and know that it was money well spent ( particularly as it has meant the value of your home has increased well above the amount that you have spent). You'll get there with paying it off. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its a lot, but people pay off more. The best bit and the bit that will make you do it? is that you have a partner who is on board. That is most valuable.

    I find that the people who out themselves, and make themselves accountable on their blog are the ones that make it.

    I have book marked you and will be back to read the rest of your blog.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started out on MSE - it was a life saver! Good luck, I know you'll be able to do it..and you've already made great progress :)

    ReplyDelete