Translate

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Fit, healthy and glowing-I want some.

Dear reader,

Thank you for all your great comments. I will be replying to you all but am off to work soon and didn't get in until 11 last night. It was work not a knees up!

Frugal Queen did a post answering the question, "Can you be frugal and healthy?"

My main quest is to prepare healthy meals. I'd love to eat just organic meat and eggs but I just can't afford it. I also would like to up our fish intake.

I have been cutting down on the meat or other protein part of our meals and really boosting up the vegetable portions. I have also started eating much more fruit.

When I get to work, I sit at my desk, someone puts the kettle on. There are usually biscuits, a tin of sweets or similar. It's really hard not to indulge when they are there. I always start snacking when I get to work. THAT WAS THEN!
I have started taking a banana and an apple to work as well as my usual lunch.what I do is make myself eat the fruit. I'm not keen on bananas but I figure if I'm hungry I will eat them. I'm avoiding dried fruit and I know fresh does have some sugars in but it's got to be better that the mince pies!

I still haven't got the scales working yet but I can see my stomach has gone down, a lot. In just a few days. I'm very pleased. I will post my weight ASAP.

I don't know if I told you but Big Man used to be a personal trainer. He is very knowledgable about working out  and nutrition. We do have a gym in the garage but its what I call a proper boys gym. It's all weights and boys stuff. None of the girlie stuff that you see the Lycra women in the gym using. No cross trainer, no treadmill, no thigh machine. ( the one that springs your legs wide apart)
But I'm going to use the boys stuff just on light weights.

I'm going to post my excersizes as well, there may be a few photos of me doing them too!

Over the weekend, I did something I hate. I mean really detest. Can't understand how or why people do it but I did.

I started running!
I have a couple of female friends who have done so well running. They were not runners and both were a little overweight.
I have to say, it looks like they have melted. They are fit, healthy and glowing and I want some of that!

Off I went. My trainers, usually only for dog walking were dusted down and off I went.
OMG, I can tell you I ain't no runner! I did a minute of a very slow, sad and wobbly jog. Followed by about 2 minutes recovery walking.
I kept going until I got to a set point and then did it all back home again. It took my 25 mins to get the and back and it's 1.5 miles in total.
I did Saturday and Sunday. Then I had a day off on Monday and did Tuesday which was a bit better. I can run about 1.5 minutes and only need about the same of walking. I did the same route but in 24 minutes. I did tell you it would be little steps.

After I guzzled a glass of water Big Man got me to do a few abdominal crunches. These sound a lot more impressive than what I actually did. I fell to the floor on the front room rug, on my back. Then put my legs up on the sofa, I liked that bit. With knees bent I did little sit ups. Not huge right up ones but just so I could feel it in the tummy.
Then I did some dips, which is sitting on the sofa, lovely, then, lifting your bottom off so it's kind of suspended in the air and pushing yourself up and down with the arms. Good for the bingo wings.

Everyone says if I keep running, I will eventually love it. Not so sure.
My legs are agony, my calves are screaming and my shins aching.

My body must wondering what on earth is going on!

How do my weight loss buddies want to track our progress. Are we just going to have weekly updates with weight loss? Are we going to have a superwoman (or man) of the week?

Have a great day,
X


25 comments:

  1. Weight training is great, don't be afraid to life heavier weights though, you can get great results. I've never been a runner, not my cup of tea at all but I do love squats!

    Don't worry about feeling that you have to eat loads of meat and eggs when you train either, yes you need protein but it doesn't all have to be grilled chicken and boiled eggs. I don't eat meat or eggs and am doing really well, my brother eats a vegan diet and is a body builder, it can be done on a budget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TD,

      You're right about the weights. Big man says the same. I'm going to try to develop my arms so will be doing the heavier ones. What sort of meals do you have not eating meat? Do you eat fish?

      Delete
    2. I don't eat fish, never liked it. The only animal products I have are cow milk in my cuppa and butter when I have bread, which is rare.

      I eat lots of nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, occasionally tofu, loads of veg and a very small amount of fruit.

      When I've used weights I'll have some oatcakes with houmous and some nuts or something like that.

      Delete
  2. Count me in too - my weight loss will be much slower due to health issues - but it's about time I tried to do something about my weight - weekly updates would be good xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trudie,
      I'm sorry to hear of your health issues. Please do join us it will be lovely to have a load of us all motivating one another. X

      Delete
  3. Keep up with the running, I started running in January a size 20. I couldnt run for 30 seconds non stop but i quickly got the bug and ran 10k in May. Almost a year on im a size 12 and currently training for my first half marathon. I still have more fat to lose but I quickly realised that as i saw the fat melt away i started making better food choices too. Don't get me wrong i still have the occassional treat but i am now conscience about what goes into my mouth.
    Keep up the great work. Your blog is fantastic too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know our name but wow! 10k is just brilliant and a size 12 now. You must be very proud. Awesome.
      I will keep up the running. Am going after I've done my replies.
      Thank you so much for commenting-very inspiring. X

      Delete
  4. Please can I join your gang? I am keen to lose weight and get fitter, but am good at finding every excuse in the book not to get on with. However, I hit 50 this year, and next year is our silver wedding so I am keen to do something before its too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Kate. You are now on the list. I'm great at excuses too but as I'm getting older and watching others around me, I realise that this body needs looking after if I want to keep using it. Bit like a car I suppose.
      I find that small steps is the key. Just one little thing at a time. The best of luck, please keep in touch. X

      Delete
  5. The food thing - we don't eat Organic. We try to eat local, and we eat high-welfare - so free range eggs, outdoor-reared or at the least Freedom Food marked meat. The difference in flavour is just amazing - and of course as we all know from things like cheese - the more flavoursome the product, the less you need of it! I also feel that it's got to be healthier to eat meat that's been looked after and treated well, rather than the factory farmed stuff which - as I said in a comment elsewhere yesterday - has been packed full of antibiotics as routine, just to keep it alive long enough for it to be killed! Can't afford to eat healthily? Can't afford not to, I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your summary. Can't afford not to. I'm very concerned about what they pump into the meat too. I also agree on the better quality but less. I have really cut down on our meat by doing this principle. I will investigate our local meat. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Well, the mere fact that I replied on your blog and indicated my interest in losing weight along with you has made me look more carefully about what I'm shoving in my mouth. So I look forward to recording weight losses (hopefully!) on a weekly basis on here. Will you nominate one particular day of the week when we all jump - no, maybe NOT jump but step carefully - on to our respective scales and record our weight?
    I am crossing my fingers and everything that I shall not be 14st+ when I next post; 13st anything will be my aim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh when I read the "shoving in my mouth" as it sounds so like myself. You should see me on the scales. It's a toe at a time and then I exhale as much as possible as if the air may weigh something. We are about the same weight so it should be good to do together. I am going for Weigh in Wednesday. A wonderful event not a woeful one. Using lots of W's to remind us. That reminds me, I must go wunning today. X

      Delete
  7. I didn't used to like running. It felt like my lungs were bleeding when I finished. I am not sure when I started feeling differently, but now I do Parkrun most weeks. I think I like running in a group rather than on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly choked on my tea when I read your comment about the bleeding lungs. That is me! You've doe really well. I am waiting for the moment when I like it. I have a feeling it could be some time. X

      Delete
  8. I have had to switch from running to yoga and walking and muscle exercises as i have a painful knee but miss it dearly it becomes an obssession:-)
    You will find it easier and enjoy it:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I hope I do. All my friends say the same about running. I have never enjoyed it on its own although I used to love netball which involved a lot of running for me or maybe it just felt like it! I would also like to do Yoga or Pilates for core strength. Walking is also brilliant anyway and I try to get out in the woods most weekends.

      Delete
  9. I think a weekly weigh in and maybe a few lines of what we each do in the way of exercise ought to do it. I am not sure that turning into a competition is the way to go; we all lose weight at a different rate. I can not run at the moment but I do have stairs so I aim to go up and down them twice instead of once each time I have to go upstairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam what a great idea. You are going to have the best toned thighs and behind ever! I think you're right, a few lines of what we do and how much people have lost (if they want to share) is the best way. I may not lose much as I want to gain some muscle but as long I feel fitter and look better i will be pleased. X

      Delete
  10. Has anyone tried couch to 5k. I got as far as downloading the podcast and practising getting up early to run.
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes I have it on my ipad. My friend has done it and I am just starting out with running one minute and walking one minute.

      Delete
  11. I started with that plan 11 years ago when I first took up running as old gal sorry vet as we are called:- and enjoyed it so much i ran marathons and competed for my country (as an old gal) it wont be for everyone and eac hwill take what ever you want from it.

    I too dont think a competetion is healthy or good as Pam says we each will lose weight at differnernt times also bloat.But a weekly weigh in sounds good with a few lines on what we did to achieve this.

    ReplyDelete