Translate

Sunday 1 December 2013

December days.

Dear reader,

Wow can't believe we are so close to Christmas and the end of another year.
For most it will have been a steady year but for some the worst year of their lives.

Life is like that sometimes I think. I recall 1985 for me as being particularly horrendous. So if 2013 has been terrible for you and yours I wish you love and laughter for 2014.

Today was a leisurely but lovely day here in Bucks. Cold and sunny so the fat dog was walked as promised. He gets so excited he actually screams when I go to collect him.

We had a cheap lunch of hot dogs as I had some hot dogs rolls in the freezer that I got for 10p with fried onions and ketchup. I know they're not the greatest food and I don't even want to know whats in them but it was tasty.

I crushed 6 garlic cloves with my pestle and mortar with 3 sprigs of rosemary and half a teaspoon of rock salt. This was mixed with garlic oil and rubbed and stuffed under the skin of the leg of lamb.
I roasted it long and slow and it gifted us with a superb light crispy skin with tender moist meat that just fell off the bone.

I couldn't be bothered with all sorts of veg cooking in different pans so we peeled potatoes, carrots and a swede ( that's a lie, we is actually big man- thank you darling) chopped and par boiled and then were roasted with a dash of oil and some of the lamb fat.

There is just loads of the lamb left over, easily enough for 3 more meals each in some form so I don't feel too bad about the price.

I have been reading about different ways Christmas will be celebrated in your houses this year, or not as the case may be. For me, it's not Happy Holidays its still and will always be Merry Christmas.

We do buy presents for each other and parents. We have one of those twig trees with lights and a garland on the door, that's about it for decorations.  A few cards will be sent to friends and neighbours and a nice dinner with plenty of alcohol will be consumed.

On the menu this week here will be lamb curry, (had to be in there) lasagne, perhaps some faggots and mash, lamb with piri piri mayo (AF) in some wraps with lettuce, onion and tomato and perhaps something light like omlette one evening.

I hope your day has been great and December brings you a happy close to the year.

Much love

FIB. X

4 comments:

  1. leg of lamb Mmmmmmmmm! Long time since we had one of those, I've made a note for next time friends come to visit to have one then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a fake tree, mostly because we travel every year. Next year we plan to stay home, maybe a real tree then. Lots of lights - on the mantle, on the outside of the house and in the bedroom on the window. We do Merry Christmas too! (also boxing day as I am in Canada) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is Merry Christmas in our house as well, an artificial tree that is flat against the wall on the back and dripping with decs and lights on the front and sides. My cottage is small but the tree is floor to ceiling so still lots to look at and the saving on floor space is great. We are Roast Beef lovers so it will be a Rib on the Bone on The Day, and a Guinea Fowl on Boxing Day. New Year we have a Goose, roast potatoes in the fat until Easter.

    ReplyDelete