Translate

Monday 9 December 2013

My healthy cooked breakfast

Dear reader,

It appears I am most definitely not alone. The responses to weight loss and fitness improvement have been many. I am so pleased that blog land gets us all together.

Yesterday I went to work for 8 hours and I knew I would be busy. I wanted to feel full up and not snack so I decided on a cooked breakfast. A healthy cooked breakfast.

Now I usually would have had bacon with a nice crispy rind, a couple of sausages, a fried egg, mushrooms fried in oil and lots of it because mushrooms suck it up and hey everyone knows the Mediterrenean diet is good with all that olive oil! Isn't it? Perhaps a couple of slices of toast with thick butter and because its a five a day a fried tomato.
All served with a large helping of " I was kidding myself!"

With a few small changes I managed to transform the above fat laden feast into a much leaner version. This is what I had.

Two bacon with all visible fat trimmed of with the kitchen scissors, grilled.
Two poached eggs which are so easy in those little silicone dishes-easy peasy in microwave.
One Linda McCartney sausage-grilled straight from frozen.
One grilled tomato
Mushrooms sprayed with a tiny bit of fry light then grilled.
Two spoons of baked beans.

I went for two eggs because they are such a great food. They are a great filler upper, good source of protein and about 80 calories and egg depending on size. They are so portable too as a hard boiled egg and great value for money. (I only buy free range but should really go organic)
The Linda McCartney sausages are two packs for £3 in Lidl so that's 12 sausages. To be fair they're not actually that sausagey but you feel like you've had a sausage as they get you with the shape and its quite a dense....substance so I find these really fill me up. I can only manage one.
The baked beans are about 100 calories for quarter of a tin and i llike them for the fibre and they are good for protein too.
No bread, no oil. There are a lot of changes in that breakfast but you don't feel deprived and I was full until late afternoon.
For lunch I had a small salad with a bit of plain cottage cheese, a mini baby bel cheese, an apple, a banana and a no fat yogurt.
When I got home I made a lamb byriani again no fat just cooked rice, curry powder, chilli, onion, ginger and some chunks of lamb from a joint I had frozen. I had a dollop of plain yogurt on top and had half a very small pitta bread.
Sorry I had dug in when I took the picture.

Our list is growing, so far we have

Pam 
Rambler
VC
Katie-Jane
Highlandhearts
Maria
Emma Watts
Miss Piggy Bank
Jan
Helen Morimer

I am off for my two weetabix with semi skimmed and sweetener now.

Good luck today, will you be making any healthy changes today or is it all too much before Christmas?

X


19 comments:

  1. Hiya. I'll join in as I've been skimping on MyFitnessPal this week... I will be mostly good to allow for the few times coming up when I definitely won't be ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in too please. Oh and I weighed myself in stones this morning and 75 kg works out at 11 stone 11! Yuck. I would like to lose 10 kg by, let's say, Easter 2014. It is in November isn't it!! Note to self, "shave your legs before the next weigh-in". Good luck everyone. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. Small steps first. How about 11 and a half stone that sounds better. Wish I weighed that! You could easily do that by Christmas. Ha ha don't think Easter is that far away! Ill be shaving everywhere.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, I think I lost my comment again. Anyway, let's try again. Please add me to your list. I weighed myself in stones this morning and 75kg works out to 11 stone 11. Yuck. I would like to lose 10 kg by next Easter (which I am hoping falls in November in 2014)! Note to self "shave your legs before the next weigh-in". Good luck eveyone. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are coming up it just holds all the comments until I press the publish button and I do it when I come home at night. X

      Delete
  4. i thought I was on list:-)
    Lost 2.5lb this week:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were then I read all my comment saga in and I wasn't sure. But so,pleased you are. You've done so well, how? I need to know cos that's a great loss this week. What did you eat?

      Delete
    2. Spell check is great! I meant to say I read my comments again. X

      Delete
    3. I started my health kick 4 weeks ago this is my 5th week and so far lost 13lb.It is hard work and I combine what i eat with exercise I was running 30 mins on treadmill but injured my knee so know do 1hour yoga and muscle exercises on the WII.
      Food it is portion control but i am a vegetarian

      so for me breakfast is normall 50gm porridge made with water with blueberries and 1tsp syrup and glass of juice.

      Lunch is HM veg soup and 1 slice bread and fruit or a salad sandwich with lf yoghurt and fruit


      Dinner is: Jacket potato quorn sausage salad and lf coleslaw or eggs poached is my choice with 1 slice bread 1/2 tin beans and fruit.

      i am on 1400 cals day with a snack in evening of fruit or if I fancy a packet of crisps.
      the week before only lost 1lb but I blaot up at certain time of month.I drink 2 litres water a day and only 5 tea or coffee.

      Delete
  5. I've made small changes - Had porridge for breakfast but instead of my usual Golden Syrup I bought some sweetener in a jar and sprinkled that on. But YEUCH-Ch-ch!
    Tomorrow it will be Golden Syrup, but a very small amount.
    For lunch I had a wholemeal sandwich (small loaf) of Pate, Watercress and Vine tomato - and the change there was no butter. Followed by 2 satsumas.
    Tonight's dinner will be Pasta in a tomato-ey sauce and a satsuma later on as a snack. Feeling quite angelic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rambler,
      I just adore golden syrup. Big man has it on his porridge. I don't mind the sweetener I guess I'm used to it. I just need something. I wondered if you could swap 1 tablespoon of golden syrup which is 97 calories for the same of honey at 64 calories? Just a thought. It's the small things like skipping the butter and eating more fruit that make the huge differences. You have done really well, especially this time of year. Wow. X

      Delete
  6. Well done today!

    I started it today, not an ideal day to start as I was invited out to lunch to a cafe but a huge imoprovement on my usual all day snacking.

    Couldn't weigh myself as the scales needed a new battery, got one today, weigh in tomorrow.

    Breakfast - porridge made with water, with some frozen blueberries. (Hot porridge thaws the blueberries and the berries cool the porridge!) Yogurt.

    Cafe lunch - cheese & tomato toastie with salad. Scone with jam, no butter. (friend insisted I have a dessert and the scone looked the healthiest)

    Dinner - Poached salmon, small baked potato, salad. 2 tangerines.

    That's it for today, just need to keep out of the biscuit tin before bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have done really well. That's a great idea with the porridge, we both love blueberries and I think they are a superfood whatever that is, just really good for you I think. Do you buy the, frozen or do you freeze them? Your dinner was super healthy too. You sound like an expert! I think we all know what to eat its just doing it and not snacking that's difficult. Brilliant day Jan. give the biscuits to the birds. X

      Delete
    2. I'm far from being an expert! I usually buy the blueberries frozen, tesco ones just now £2 a pack or 3 packs for £5. I only.use them at breakfast with porridge then put the rest back in the freezer or I'd scoff the lot.

      Delete
  7. I will definitely be with you after Christmas and New Year. We are not doing so much at Christmas but will be in Edinburgh for New Year. Not so much about stuffing ourselves, but really do need to shape up for 2014. You were so right about the office in your previous comment - I thought about it, and there were cakes last week, tin biscuits and McD for breakfast (after work night out - I do not do McD's) and today more biscuits and huge bag of savory snacks. No wonder my work trousers are starting to feel a little tight!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha exactly the same in our office and its always the slim ones bring the biscuits. Feeders I reckon. Edinburgh for NY sounds great. I assume a wee dram or two will be consumed! McD brekkie is the only thing I like in there. Hangover food! Have you thought of running? My friend did couch to 5k and she looks fab!

      Delete
  8. I think Linda mccartney meals are great, especially the sausages, used to make sausage butties with them ..mm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evening all, I have the couch to 5k book but not sure about running - who knows maybe I will surprise myself. I did well today and went walking for an hour at lunchtime. (I am gone from 7 a.m. to 7 pm so it's too dark mornings and nights to be outside at the moment), But to be honest, if you don't get outside when you have beautiful surroundings AND wonderful weather you deserve to be blobby. I also (get this) joined the gym at work and following Frugal Queen's example, intend to make full use of it. Again, if you have a gym in-house (this is new, from January) at a third of the price of out-in-town, you deserve to be more than blobby. Will weigh myself on Sunday and see how it goes. Anna

    ReplyDelete