Translate

Monday 21 January 2013

Are we paying for nonsense?

Dear reader,

I was walking behind a girl wearing a smart pair of Ugg boots today and I smiled as I remember buying my first pair in a previous life when named stuff was important.

It was 2003 and I bought them in Harrods, as you do! A long tan pair, £125 and I hustled other girls out of the way to get the last 39 in stock. HA!

I remember wearing them when I was at an airport going on a short weekend break to the Canaries, as you do when you have a free weekend! I saw a couple of young women nudge each other and point to my cherished boots as I walked past. I had a right old smug look, another HA!

That was several years ago and I do laugh a bit when I think of those times. Times when labels were important and smugness was a plenty.

Now, I wear my beloved fur boots from Marks that big man bought me two birthdays ago. They have a proper sole and don't flop over at the sides.
I buy clothes from boot sales and ebay and can make make up last, oh for years. I know there are some who say its past its sell by date and unhygienic but I'm not bothered and a bit of old foundation won't kill me.

I have a stash of creams in my drawer that I am making last and I don't mind telling you that, at the moment a rather rich cracked heel cream is going on my face and its very nice too!
I'm sure the cream doesn't know if its going on my face or my feet.

I buy the cheapest shower gel and you know what? It works.
I buy the cheapest shampoo and it works too.
I'm not buying any clothes this year, I have plenty. (I'd have loads more if I could ditch a stone or 2)
I buy the cheapest anti-persperant and it works. I hope so anyway.

I read an article about £650 face cream yesterday. It's this, it's that, it will make you look younger, blah, blah. The trouble is, when you're 70 how will you know if its worked or not? And will you even care?
Perfume cost pennies to make but if it was really cheap no-one would buy it.

So, my thought for today as I rub foot cream into my face, is HA! to over priced, designer names that are probably all made in the same place and my new smugness comes from the extra money in my bank account.

What do you use that's cheap and cheerful?

Sarah


5 comments:

  1. I paid £40 for 4 tiny Bobbi Brown make up brushes. Admittedly they are very good quality and dont lose bristles but those historic habits are obsene looking back. I also bought jewellery from Tiffanys in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mis P B, I have a terrible confession, I am still using the Bobbi Brown eyeshadow I bought in 2004. How bad is that?


    Ha ha, we will be richer but those cheap, malting bristles can ruin a girls look if they stick to your face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes those scratchy bristles could be really dangerous lol , they could have our eyes out !! All my make up is at least 2 years old, I dont use it often enough to buy regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Ragged Wren,

      Thanks for commenting. I can report that the foot cream is doing wonders on my face. It's honestly the best face cream I have used.

      Have a great Sunday.

      Sarah. X

      Delete