Translate

Monday 7 January 2013

Frugal cooking with one gammon.

Dear reader,

As you know I am trying to feed the pair of use every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner for half of what I used to spend which was about £80 per week.

On my last main shop at the end of December I bought £37 worth of food from Lidl. I like Aldi but we don't have a local one.

One of my purchase was a gammon for £3.99. I boiled it in the slow cooker overnight and cooled it before refrigerating. This is what I have made with it so far.

Sandwiches for lunch x 3 days

Diced and put into spaghetti Carbonara

Diced and put into a minestrone type soup

Thereis still some left which I will save to put on homemade pizzas later this week.

I am enjoying the challenge of being creative with meals.

Today we entered our meter reading online with British Gas and we have been really frugal with it. We don't have the heating on unless it is really really cold, which is hasn't been lately. We just heat the lounge with the log burner. We have a combi boiler which is brand new and efficient. We do shower daily and have a couple of baths a week as well as washing up up but nothing excessive....
Or so I thought. I was secretly a bit excited to see how cheap our bill was going to be and was disappointed when it was £74.55. Not happy especially as we have just swapped to a cheaper online tariff. Not sure what else we can do except have less baths. We don't cook with gas either.

Does that seem a lot for one month? Or am I being tight? Am trying to see what the average is for a couple using the same as us. What do you get charged per month and how can I reduce it?

Sarah. X









2 comments:

  1. I think you have done really well at stretching the gammon joint and have made some delicious sounding meals.

    My hubby deals with the gas readings monthly so I really can't help, maybe I should take over doing it myself or maybe I should leave it as I would probably be shocked at how much we use too.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      Thank you for popping by. I have only just started blogging so get all excited when I get a comment. I am really enjoying the challenge of cooking for less and don't feel hard done by at all. I've just been over to your blog and its great. I will be following you and hopefully we can swap some ideas. I see you like your holidays, me too. Just got to pay back some money and will be getting away too.
      All the best
      Sarah. X

      Delete