Translate

Friday 18 January 2013

Heavy snow and a mouse calledJingles.

Dear reader, I have new followers. Thank you to Donna and no more spending. Xxx

Have just got up to thick, heavy snow falling here and no sign of stopping.
Big man and I ventured into the garden to feed the birds which we do every day.

Our rear garden has a large border of heathers before you get to the lawn. In the summer when we were out there, I had thrown some bread on the lawn for the birds. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a tiny little face peep out from the heather and grab a crust of bread. I showed big man and again the tiny face popped out. We were delighted at the tiny mouse. Big man named him Jingles from the mouse in the film "The green mile."
I convinced myself that Jingles was a little dormouse or field mouse and duly left him little snacks, a crust of bread, a small end of cheese just by the heather for Jingles to eat.

While washing up the other day and enjoying watching the birds at the table (with the usual crusts on the ground- for Jingles and the fat wood pigeon that can't fit on the table) I saw movement from the heather. I hadn't seen little Jingles since the summer and waited with bated breath.

 Out came the twitch whiskery face and then the body, which had obviously flourished on my Kingsmill seeded loaf end and Chedder cheese.
Oh yes, Jingles had certainly flourished on my feeding, into a great big rat!

Ah well, rats have to live too I suppose although I have to admit I don't give him cheese anymore.

I will be in front of this today.

I may venture to the kitchen.  I have minced beef ( well that's what it says on the packet)and a gammon joint. There is also a frozen monkfish fillet which was reduced the other day so will have this with garlic roasted potatoes and veg tonight.
I think I will make a shepherds pie or two for the week. Will have to see how far I can stretch the mince by adding carrots, celery, red lentils and tinned tomatoes.
Have a good day and hope your not too disrupted by the snow.

Sarah. X



2 comments: