Translate

Friday 11 January 2013

Smart and practical

Dear reader,

Have made a nest for myself on the sofa with throws, tissues, menthol rub and tablets.
After 4 days of wearing pj's and being curled up like a hamster I am now felling better.
I have been doing a lot of reading online, blogs, news and the like.

I read with interest the article in Daily Mail online about the crops that are not harvested and the vegetables that are discarded as they are not the right size, shape or colour. Not beautiful enough!
Frugal Queen is rightly furious as well as I saw on her blog.
It got me to thinking about looks and how some people judge on looks alone.

I had a conversation with an old friend the other evening. She is very label conscious. Channel handbags as £2500 a go, specific face cream which I think is about £100 plus a go, you get the picture.
I was at her house one evening some years ago and had on a cheap top. She asked where it was from and to test her i said it was Karen Millen. She loved it and wanted to try it on.....when I laughed and confessed it was from some cheap top she totally went off it.
Now I am all for enjoying your money but to disregard something because the name is not right is just pathetic. I suppose these sort of people feel better when they say, "Oh this bag is by (insert some designer name with £2k price).
Does it make me a failure if I am not sporting the latest bag, trainers, shoes or car?
Do people look at you differently if you wear designer stuff?

When I told her that big man and I had bought a nice house in a nice place(too rural for her) she sounded a bit miffed and asked if we had won the lottery.
No, we don't do the lottery for a start. We saved and saved. We went without. No meals out, no holidays, no booze, no new clothes. We lived on a budget and we did free things on our days off.
We went for walks and went exploring. We got really lost one day and had to walk for miles to get home. It was fun though and it was free fun.
She didn't sound that happy my old friend and that hurt. We were friends in an old life and we haven't seen each other for over a year. I guess we are on different paths now and that's fine.

I don't mind spending money on quality that will last. I bought some black leather winter boots in 2008 for about £300 because I knew they would last and they have. I wear them loads and they will last another 5 years at least. They are not high fashion just smart and practical.

That's a good description for us frugalies, we are not interested in whether its beautiful enough or who it's made by as long as it does the job.

SMART and PRACTICAL

Have a good day

Sarah. X

3 comments:

  1. A really interesting post :)

    I find it kinda sad when people are like that. I try explaining it to my three teenagers all the time. It sort of works with my girls, but my son is very 'label' conscious, as are his group of 'rich' friends.. lol.

    But as you say, nothing wrong with paying out for quality, you're saving money in the long run.

    Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ragged Wren, you have a special mention in my newest post.
      I know, it must be hard with teenagers. I remember at school my best friend was really teased about her M and S clothes and Dunlop green flash trainers. Kids can be so mean. My friends son works out in the Far East and says all the copies are made in the same factory as the "real" stuff. It does annoy me that a tiny logo can be worth so much.

      Good luck with your three.

      Sarah. X

      Delete
  2. I'm more likely to say - "I've got a bargain - bought this for a fiver!"
    I've been looking at this page:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36
    for a while - they post some fabulous bargains. I got a lovely Sanctuary set for each of my son's gf's for Christams - £55 pounds-worth for £14.
    This week I bought myself a Kipling purse for my birthday. I've wanted one for AGES, but wasn't happy to pay £30.00. This one was £10.
    Lands End recently had a sale with 80% off some items. I have very few clothes and I bought a weatherproof jacket and two pairs of sturdy shoes for walking - my plan for the new year is to walk more.
    I even bought some presents for this Christmas because they were at such a bargain price. More goods for my money!

    ReplyDelete