Translate

Saturday 26 January 2013

What do I know?

Dear reader,

I was having a read of some of the blogs I follow and a lot of people write with great authority on subjects they are good at, hobbies such as quilting, crafts and cooking.
There are blogs from wonderful people who have paid off vast sums of money, paid off their mortgage or have a really good life for very little money.
Yes, I could tell you about what I've cooked but I'm a basic cook and am sure you have better skills than I.

It got me wondering, what do I know about that could save people money?
I do all the usual things we read about, cutting down on energy consumption, shopping clever, making our own products and so on.

I used to work in the travel industry and thought that some of you may be booking or thinking of a holiday this year?
There are many, many ways to now book a trip. Internet being the main way now although some people do still use a travel agent for the face to face experience.
However you book, either flights and find your own accommodation or the full package there is one thing that all the companies will be trying to sell you.
Travel Insurance. This is a minefield and lots of people get caught out.

The reason they try so hard to flog it to you is the mark up. From 50% upwards I would suggest.
A lot of companies won't take your booking unless you already have insurance in place. Why on earth not? Just another way to try to get you to buy theirs.

Here are my tips on travel insurance. (I am not an insurance broker or expert and have no interest in the selling of it)

Do not be rushed in purchasing it.
Shop around but be aware you get what you pay for.
You must be aware of pre existing medical conditions. This will include diabetes, high blood pressure, previous illness. You must say what medication you are on.

If there is anyone who may affect you travelling, ie: you have a relative who has a pre existing medical condition and fall ill before or while you are away, (even if they are not travelling but you may cancel if they fall ill) the insurers may not pay out unless you told them beforehand.
Any insurance you get free via a bank account or credit card will probably only be very very basic cover and you MUST check the policy before you rely on it.

I wouldn't want to pay more than £30 max for an adult for 2 weeks in the med. There will be cheaper and I have had a look at these cheap ones before. great price but i wouldnt want to try to claim on them.
A lot of talk about the EU health card but it only gets you what the locals would get in that country.

I decided against a holiday this year but I have to admit after the cold spell I am feeling rather tempted by a bit of sun and sand.
How about you, have you plans for anywhere abroad this year?

Sarah. X

No comments:

Post a Comment