Translate

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Stopping and frugal take away

The first day of a new year and I'm feeling all positive and cheery.
Happy New Year to you.

Today is the day I will become a non smoker and I feel excited about it.

I feel a bit of a fraud writing about being frugal and all the time sneaking to the shops to get my fix.
£7 a day to kill myself!
I don't know if any of you have been smokers and believe me I really dislike being a smoker but I find it extremely difficult to quit. I have tried the patches, the fake ones, hypnosis, cold turkey and the longest I lasted was 3 months. I think if I really want to stop, I will.

Big man is also a puffer and we both have stopped today. I actually want to curl up with embarrassment that we were spening £400 plus a month on cigarettes!
That's more then double the amount I have set myself to spend on food. How weird that I was prepared to spend twice as much on the things that will kill me than the things I need to stay alive.
I will be using this blog to chart my progress and I would find it really helpful if anyone had any motivational tips etc.

However, I digress. Today I cooked some more. You can tell I'm a girl who likes food!
I cut up a pack of braising beef and put it in the slow cooker with onions and carrots with a packet mix from approved foods for beef bourguignon. The beef was £6 for the pack and I reckon this will make two meals for the 2 of us.  We were going to have it today but the carrots were still hard so I resorted to rummaging in the freezer.

Whenever I have any left over curry, of which I make quite a lot, I always freeze the extra. I decided that I could clear out the freezer and make a kind of  Indian take away. There were three, chicken curry Chinese style, lamb Thai curry and chicken and vegetable Thai. I just defrosted, heated in the microwave and put them in those proper little silver bowls with the handles like you get in a curry house. A couple of naans, drizzled with garlic oil and grilled and some plain boiled rice. It was lovely! I definately think the flavours develop if kept and frozen.
I reckon a three dish takeaway would have cost us £30 plus so quids in.

Money saved on that which must not be mentioned £14.

Have a great evening.

Sarah. Xxx

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    I think it's wonderful that you have 'given up'.

    My advice would be to decide on a really special treat for you this month that would cost say £200!

    Why?

    Because you NEED to reward yourself for this amazing thing.

    You NEED to have something to look forward to as well.

    Put the other £200 somewhere as a reminder of what you are going to save this month. SAVE!! Even with your treat.

    Remember you are going to be very moody with each other as it works it's way out of your system.

    Next month make the treat £100 and save £300 and the next £50 and save £350 until you start saving the whole £400!

    I am so delighted for you. You are giving yourself your life back.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear sft,

      You are so kind to pop by and always manage to leave me a really positive comment. I will definately have a think about something suitable. I think you are right, we do need something to look forward to. It's such a horrible habit, worse thing I ever did!

      Sarah. X

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah, just discovered your blog thru SFT and have to say I've really enjoyed reading everything from start to finish and even though I won't be a follower - haven't figured out how to do that - I'll be back every day to see how you're doing and maybe the fact that I live in Germany will make up for it. (I'll put my name down for being the first foreign regular.)
    We gave up the habit 30years ago and I'll be rooting for you. Love SFT's idea of the treat for this month, it'll give you something to look forward to. Best of luck.
    See ya tomorrow
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine,

      How lovely to have my first foreign regular, I am chuffed! You did we'll 30 years ago and I was so hoping for someone who knows what it's like to drop by and now you have! I am back at work today and there are 4 of us who have quit so hopefully we will all keep strong. Happy New Year to you and please do stop by and leave a comment, I know it will really help me to stay focused.

      Sarah. Xxx

      Delete