Translate

Saturday 5 January 2013

No food waste and menu planning

Dear reader,

A wonderful thing has happened since I drastically cut down our food shopping budget.
No more food waste.
I didn't have a awful lot of waste anyway but as I am now meal planning before I go shopping there is no waste at all. I still have loads of food left from last week although I did do a small top up for milk and bread and ended up spending £14 which I will deduct from this week. In fact I don't think I will need to shop this week. I have checked the freezer and we have an old fashioned larder which is rammed full.
I have in stock: King prawns, x4 portions of Frugal Queens faggots, sausages, the gammon joint which I have boiled and a lot of sausages as well as all the usual cupboard staples, rice, pasta, noodles etc.
So this is my meal plan for next weeks dinners. Packed lunches will be the usual sandwiches etc.

Monday-Spaghetti Carbonara with some of the ham joint chopped up with onions and mushrooms.
Tuesday-Sausage casserole with mash and veg.
Wednesday-lasagne and potato wedges
Thursday-King prawn Thai curry and rice
Friday-Sausage, chips and beans
Saturday-Naan bread pizzas
Sunday-Faggots, roast potatoes and veg with onion gravy.

I can't even talk about the no smoking-I am a sad failure and really disappointed in myself.
I will start Monday as a fresh week.

I have been at home today and have still got my pj's on from this morning. Big man is at work tonight and I have been working 12 hours a day and 16 hours yesterday so feel like slobbing out.
I have done a lot of housework and rearranged the lounge. I have the log burner on and am drying some washing. What a wild life I live!
I could have gone out, met friends, spent £50 on overpriced drinks in some bar and then another £20 plus for a crap meal somewhere so I choose NO SPEND SATURDAY and debt freedom.

How was your Saturday night? Any tips on frugal fun?

Sarah x

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah
    1.You're NOT a failure it just didn't work out this time. But why wait till Monday to start again, tomorrow's as good a day as any and it might be a bit easier being at home than being at work, remember it's just one day at a time.
    Wish we still lived in England and I'd be round like a shot on Tuesday for the sausages. I know the Germans make approx. 1,000,000 different kinds but there are none that taste as good as ours. What exactly are faggots?, heard of them but never tried or made them.
    Anyhow have a good Sunday.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine,

      Thank you for your kind words, have made me feel much better. Faggots are a large meatball made from pork and offal and really nice, cooked in an onion gravy. I will post the recipe tomorrow. If you like meat you will love them.

      Thanks again
      Sarah. X

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    I think the same as Christine.

    Make Sunday a fresh start.

    Great menu planning. If you want to take part in a great Grocery Budget forum try here: http://frugaldom.myfreeforum.org/ftopic1240-0-asc-0.php

    Lots of people you know are there.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear SFT,
      I feel really guilty but thank you for your support. It makes me more determined to succeed. I must get more prepared and get some patches.

      Thanks again,

      Sarah. X

      Delete